re-pitch to bottle kriek lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffaoe

Reaction score
I have been searching the forum and haven't found a definitive answer for my situation.

I have a kriek lambic that is just over a year old now. I will be bottling it this weekend. I have champagne bottles and will cork and cage them. I will be adding the appropriate amount of priming sugar to the bottling bucket before starting.

Now this is where I need an experienced answer. I have read the various re-pitching recommendations:
A. No re-pitch necessary.
B. Re-pitch champagne yeast.
C. Re-Pitch a neutral yeast such as S-05
D. No re-pitch, but suck up some yeast cake into the bucket.

I would appreciate any help or recommendations.
Thanks

I usually add a small amount of champagne yeast at bottling (like 1/4 sachet per 5 gallons) to make sure they carbonate. Also take into account the low residual co2, so aim a little higher than your intended volumes.

I bottle in standard bottles, so usually dial in 3 volumes. Like F_A I feel there is little dissolved CO2 left in the beer by the time I bottle, so I am expecting less.

I always add fresh yeast at bottling. I usually save some of whatever starter I have recently used and add that. I have some Brett-B set aside for use in a couple of weeks for a batch of Flanders. Any yeast will do, all it is doing is working on the simple sugars; everything else has been consumed.

I use a wine yeast(ec-1118 ) just to make sure I have some active yeast that can handle acid environment.

The ec-1118 champagne yeast was what I was thinking of using, but wanted some experienced opinions.

I have my first Kriek currently aging and wanted to give you that piece of information before replying.

A friend of mine who brews a lot of sours has said to re-pitch a stylistically appropriate stain of yeast. .

Also, in Wild Brews, Jeff Sparrow says, "Highly acidic and/or highly alcoholic wild beers, or those that have undergone a lengthy fermentation, may be devoid of enough viable yeast for a successful refermentation. A high level of acidity and a low pH can often harm S. cerevisiae. Pitching a new Saccharomyces culture may be necessary."

He goes on to say the strain should be tolerant to acidity and neutral in flavor.

"Wyeast recommends German Ale Yeast (1007), while White Labs recommends California Ale Yeast (WLP001). Both strains perform well under harsh conditions and settle nicely in the bottle. Dry yeast may also be acceptable, although you will need to determine if a particular strain can withstand high levels of acidity."

And for what I am going to do,
"Some brewers choose to 're-pitch' all of the microorganisms used in fermentation to help assure viability."

I plan on pitching another pack of Wyeast Lambic Blend when I add the sour cherries and that should leave me with enough viable yeast to carbonate.

All from page 253 of Wild Brews.

I bottled a 13-month old Kriek last month and added half a pack of S-05. It carbed perfectly and timely (I let it sit 2 weeks at room temp).

Well, the LHBS made my mind up for me. I just got back from stopping there after work and they were out of the ec-1118, so i went with the S-05.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Back