Lavender Flowers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone every try lavender flowers for aroma/flavor?

I have a bush full of dried flowers. When I pull off a handful and rub them between my fingers they smell AWESOME. I have no idea if the lightly sticky feel is from an oil or a resin in the flower.

I haven't used them in beer but I've used them in cooking. They are EXTREMELY potent. The oils are all in the flowers. I'll bet a teaspoon of flowers in a blonde ale or something would be plenty.

Hey Andrew.. I was considering their use in Kombucha.. but, I agree.. very potent.. Almost like taking fresh rosemary and brushing against it.. muchless rubbing it between your fingers.

Being thick headed as I am I didn't notice you had posted to the Kombucha forum. Sounds great, but again I would go very very small. My wife wants to get the Kombucha going. What is your local source for the starter?

I used Lavender for the Brooklyn Brewery "Lady Lavender" Recipe. It's a Belgian of some sort... It wasn't my favorite, but my wife and a few other friends liked it.

I read that again and noticed it was in the Kombucha forum, in that case I started to build a Kombucha mother about 2 weeks ago and was also thinking about adding it to a bottle or two of Kombucha and see what it adds. that is when I actually get a batch of tea finished...

Back