Help with stock fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paquitin

Reaction score
Last Sunday I brewed 10 gal of an IPA. Split the wort into too carboys and pitched two starters, one was wlp001 and the other was wlp002. The OG was 1.068 final for wlp001 should be 1.015 and for wlp002 is 1.019. Checked this morning and both are at 1.024. Great tasting beer but too sweet. Fermentation temp was 65f for four days and slowly raised to 68f over the last three. My LHBS told me to rack to secondary over se yeast energizer and that should help finish off. There is still some movement on air lock but it is minimum. Had any one done this or do they have a better solution?

I would hold off on the secondary. Get a hydrometer reading for a few days in a row and see if it is still plugging along. Nothing is going to be hurt by leaving the beer on yeast awhile longer. You're also past the point where the yeast is going to be producing significant esters or phenols so I would raise the temp to maybe 70 or 71, if possible and see what happens if your readings don't budge. Good luck.

Almost forgot what temp did you mash at? What was the grain bill? A higher temp on the mash increases unfermentable sugars so you will yield a higher FG.

That is exactly what I have done for the past two days. Last night I took a reading and the Carboy with the WLP002 had already dropped two points. Will continue to check readings periodically.
Ty for the advice.

Checked gravity this morning and the Carboy with WLP001 hit the FG of 1.015. The Carboy with WLP002 had a FG of 1.021, just shy by two points. Just racked into secondary over 1# of cascade and 1# Amarillo hops each.
Thanks copbrew133 for your advise, worked like a charm.

I want to hear your thoughts about the differences... and see some pics! I just did a similar thing comparing 001 and 090, and posted about it this morning.

Brulosopher said:
I want to hear your thoughts about the differences... and see some pics! I just did a similar thing comparing 001 and 090, and posted about it this morning.

image-3507854676.jpg

Not the best pictures, I promise to take some tomorrow. Even worst I F up the glasses, do the English pub glass (left) has the 001 the craft pub glass ( right) has the 002. Both beers where filtered with rough pad, but the 002 was also filtered with a polished pad, thus it's clearer. But even with out being filtered twice it would have being clearer just bc of the 002 qualities of flocculating better. Both beers have a beautiful amber color, the are both nice and chewy with a great malty flavor to them. The 001 finish dryer and let's the hop flavored showcase better. Bitterness just lingers a bit longer. 002 has that residual sweetness typical of the yeast and it showcases the MO better. Great maltyness and nuttiness, a bit more chewy than the 001 but the hops ate well balance. I had a couple of friends try them and if you are a hop head the 001 is the one for you, but of you like that residual sweetness and a well balance beer between maltyness and hops 002 is the ticket. Personally I have to say its one of my best brews so far. I am extremely happy with both of them and can assure you that they will be come regulars on
the rotation.
Cheers.

Back