qBrew - Recipe Calculator With Mr. Beer Database

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewyBrewer

ezRecipe - The Easy Way To Awesome Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to learn more about using the popular qBrew recipe calculator to design your next beer recipe using Mr. Beer ingredients click the link below. I've included the complete instructions for downloading, installing and using the free qBrew 4.1 version on your computer.

This post was researched and updated based on the prior work done by forum member 'D Rock' who I would like to thank for taking the time to share this information and providing the inspiration used to hopefully further his original work.
I would also like to thank other forum members like 'EricG' and 'esheppy' who have also provided much of the related information as well as helping to understand the inner workings of qBrew. I have also researched the qBrew topic on the Internet and have included the information provided many other contributors.

Click here for...qBrew With Mr. Beer Ingredients Database

Thank you very much for this link! I noticed there was no setting for meads listed in the program, but still seems like a very handy tool regardless! :fro:

Thank you very much for this link! I noticed there was no setting for meads listed in the program, but still seems like a very handy tool regardless! :fro:
hi AugustDerleth, If you can forward me some mead information I'll add it to the database.

The styles require the high and low values for OG, FG, IBU and SRM....see the example style for 'American India Black Ale' below and use it as a guide.

<style oglow="1.056" oghigh="1.075" fglow="1.012" fghigh="1.018" ibulow="50" ibuhigh="70" srmlow="25" srmhigh="40">American India Black Ale</style>

Screwy Brewer

Is there an official website for this piece of software? i'm using the version from the ubuntu repos but it's only version 0.4.1 and i want the latest version

The November 2010 qBrew database update is now available at www.screwybrewer.com, get your free update today!

qbrew-main.jpg

qBrew - Homebrewers Recipe Calculator

Interesting, I loved this little piece of software, but stopped using it because the DB was so out-of-date, and the project seemed dead. I've been using BrewTarget, but I like having more than one piece of brewing software for comparison. Could I request Bravo hops for the DB? Thanks.

I have added the Bravo hop variety to the database, it will be available in the December update. You can add or edit the database yourself by navigating to the 'Tools -> Database Editor' of qBrew and then clicking on the 'Hops' tab.

November qBrew Tip: If you want to add up all the IBUs for your hop additions, enter all your hops before adding in your grains.

As you add in your grain additions, qBrew's built in formula will begin subtracting the malt's sweetness from the hop's bitterness in order to indicate the balance of the recipe.

The formula qBrew uses to calculate this balance is the same one used by my Bitterness Balance Calculator to display the recipe's overall balance between hopped bitterness and malt sweetness in a hopped beer style.

I like this program and I appreciate it being freeware! One question: Under TIME on the hops tab, is it asking the time that the hops are actually in the wort? Or at what time they go in? It seems like it would be referencing how long they are cooked, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks! :ban:

I like this program and I appreciate it being freeware! One question: Under TIME on the hops tab, is it asking the time that the hops are actually in the wort? Or at what time they go in? It seems like it would be referencing how long they are cooked, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks! :ban:
AugustDerleth the times entered are for how long the hops will be boiled, such as 30 minutes for bittering, 12 minutes for flavor and 7 minutes for aroma.

Click for more detail...qBrew

Could I offer a suggestion? On Mac OS X (and other Unix-based operating systems) any file or folder that starts with a . are considered system files and, at least in the case of OS X, are by default invisible. How about including the file without the . before the name and include in the instructions to add the . before replacing the other file? For those who know how to use the Terminal it's an easy fix, but not everybody is willing or able to use it. Here's how:

Mac OS X installation instructions:

In a Finder window, locate qBrew (/Applications/qbrew). Ctrl+click or right click the application and click "Show Package Contents." A new window will open; navigate to Contents/Resources, locate the qbrewdata file and rename it to qbrewdata-orig. Leave both Finder windows open for future steps.

Unzip the .qbrewdata file from the screwy-qbrewdata.zip file you downloaded. Open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type the following:

(Assumes your download folder is /Users/*yourname*/Downloads)
This changes you to the Downloads directory:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads

This lists the contents of the folder, -a will make sure to show hidden files; you can skip this step, but I included so you can make sure the file is there. It should be toward the top of the list:
Code:
ls -a

This renames the file, removing the . before the name:
Code:
mv .qbrewdata qbrewdata

In your original Finder window navigate to your Downloads folder and find your newly renamed qbrewdata file and drag it into the Resources folder in the other window.

Restart qBrew.

Thanks!

Aha! Thanks- is there a way to "show" hidden folders/files in OSX? I'm brand spankin new to mac...don't so much like the fact that I'm locked out of administrative capabilities without MUCH more run around than a PC. >_<
as a graphic design majour however, the mac comes in damn handy--

AugustDerleth it asking for the TIME you will boil the hops for. If I were adding bittering additions I would enter 21 to 90 minutes, for flavor 8 to 20 minutes and for aroma 7 minutes or less.

Remember to adjust your Alpha percentages to match what's listed on your current hop packaging, as these percentages will vary from season to season.

Aha! Thanks- is there a way to "show" hidden folders/files in OSX? I'm brand spankin new to mac...don't so much like the fact that I'm locked out of administrative capabilities without MUCH more run around than a PC. >_<
as a graphic design majour however, the mac comes in damn handy--

How familiar are you with using the Terminal? If there's something hidden that you desperately want to edit, just open Terminal and you can view from there (to view, use 'ls -a'). OS X comes with the VIM editor, so you can edit with that.

There's also the "Go" menu in Finder, if you know the exact location. Click Go -> Go to Folder and enter in the path to the Folder you want.

Lastly, you can change the default in Terminal, or if you prefer a graphical interface, there are a few "enhanced" system preference/admin tools out there (including some freeware) that would enable you to show all files, including hidden files with just the click of a button.

Just open Terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

To reverse the change, change the TRUE to FALSE in the first line (and mind the caps: it's case-sensitive!)

I would say this however: if you opt to show all files, you could easily delete something you may need. Part of the reason OS X has hidden files is so users can't screw things up too badly.

...don't so much like the fact that I'm locked out of administrative capabilities
:off:
Sorry, just noticed this part. Again, this is where Terminal is your friend. You can tweak pretty much any setting from Terminal, including customizing your shell, compiling software, editing system files. Again, just be VERY CAREFUL! The sudo command is a good thing, but say you type 'sudo rm -r /' and accidentally hit ENTER instead of finishing the path. Well, you've just deleted everything on your hard drive...

You can also enable the root user, but again, unless you REALLY know what you're doing, just don't.

/:off:

Could I offer a suggestion? On Mac OS X (and other Unix-based operating systems) any file or folder that starts with a . are considered system files and, at least in the case of OS X, are by default invisible. How about including the file without the . before the name and include in the instructions to add the . before replacing the other file? For those who know how to use the Terminal it's an easy fix, but not everybody is willing or able to use it. Here's how:

Mac OS X installation instructions:

In a Finder window, locate qBrew (/Applications/qbrew). Ctrl+click or right click the application and click "Show Package Contents." A new window will open; navigate to Contents/Resources, locate the qbrewdata file and rename it to qbrewdata-orig. Leave both Finder windows open for future steps.

Unzip the .qbrewdata file from the screwy-qbrewdata.zip file you downloaded. Open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type the following:

(Assumes your download folder is /Users/*yourname*/Downloads)
This changes you to the Downloads directory:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads

This lists the contents of the folder, -a will make sure to show hidden files; you can skip this step, but I included so you can make sure the file is there. It should be toward the top of the list:
Code:
ls -a

This renames the file, removing the . before the name:
Code:
mv .qbrewdata qbrewdata

In your original Finder window navigate to your Downloads folder and find your newly renamed qbrewdata file and drag it into the Resources folder in the other window.

Restart qBrew.

Thanks!

When I download the update the file never says .zip and when I try to open it I get an empty finder folder, and the eye button up top says the folder is "53kb, no items". What do I do?
Sorry, I just got my MacBook for christmas.

I have uploaded the latest qBrew database file for the MAC, you can use the link below to download the latest database updates.

Click here to download the January qBrew database update....

MAC users: Extract the compressed 'qbrewdata-MAC' file and then copy it to the qBrew program directory as '.qbrewdata'
overwritting the current '.qbrewdata' file. Run qBrew and you should see the latest updates.

"Mac OS X and other Unix-based operating system files or folders that starts with a . are considered system
files and, at least in the case of OS X, are by default invisible."

When I download the update the file never says .zip and when I try to open it I get an empty finder folder, and the eye button up top says the folder is "53kb, no items". What do I do?
Sorry, I just got my MacBook for christmas.

I'm assuming whatever web browser you use automatically unzips the file. Especially if you're using Safari, you probably won't notice. Do this:

1.) Open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
2.) Type cd ~/Downloads/"foldername"/ where "foldername" is the name of the qbrew folder (qbrewdata?) without quotes.
3.) Type "ls -a" again without quotes, and you should see " . .. .qbrewdata "
4.) Type "mv .qbrewdata qbrewdata" This will remove the . from in front of the filename making it visibile in the Finder window.

Let me know if that works.

The March 2011 qBrew ingredient database is now available for download. This free download has been updated to include several new beer styles and a lot more types of yeast strains. Available only at the Screwy Brewer keep your qBrew recipe calculations up to date with this easy to install ingredients download.

qBrew - Homebrew Recipe Calculator March 2011 Update

My September 2011 qBrew ingredient database updates are now available to all as a free download. This month's ingredients update includes the following:

Grains - More types and descriptions have been added
Yeast - More types and specs have been added
Recipes - More extract and all grain have been added

This month's update also includes for the first time anywhere 11 new yeast strains from East Coast Yeast, ranging from Ale and Lager to Saison and much, much more. With the cooler weather approaching ECY is now shipping their yeast to select areas of the country again.

qbrew2.jpg

Click here for the September 2011 qBrew database update and instructions

I just brewed my first batch of beer. A Mr. Beer Cranberry Maiback with Wyeast 2421. I hope it went well, but I have it in a cooler with frozen waters. Anyways...

I now found this download and started working with it. However, when I put in a Mr. beer HME the bitterness does not change. Is this correct? I thought the HME would a a little bitterness.

Sorry for the newbie question.

Gals you were able to find the directions, they're pretty easy to follow and qBrew is definitely still one of the easiest recipe calculators out there.

I can't get the update to load. Followed the directions to the letter, but it seems my update is in a different format (PNTG) than the one in the video (unix something or other). I unzipped it just fine. The original file in the folder is labeled as a document. What do I have to do to get this to work? Thanks.

Nevermind. I got it converted and loaded. What a pain though. Works great now though. Glad to have all the extra infos.

The May 2012 qBrew database update includes all the new Mr. Beer/Coopers extracts and much, much more. It's free and easy to use for MAC and Windows users, download it today and get a sample recipe using the new Mr. Beer/Coopers American Ale extract.

Screwy's May 2012 qBrew Database Update

NewCoopers.jpg

For the new Mr. Beer/Coopers extracts add them as 1.87 pounds of grain and 1.00 ounce of hops for five minutes to get started. As usual most brewer's agree that 75% utilization is about right for brewing so the actual ABV calculated by qBrew will be lower than the highly optimistic ABV advertized, results may vary since I base my LBK volume on 2.13 gallons as I think most of us do.

Back