Restatement Eight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sky7

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
8% Alcohol
Steep at 160 F:
1 pd, 4 oz Briess Crystal Malt 40L

60 Minute, 2 Gallon Boil
8 pds Amber Dry Malt Extract

Hops:

60 Min: 1.0 oz Simcoe
30 Min: .5 oz Simcoe
5 Min: .5 oz Simcoe

Re-hydrated Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast (that took about 4.5 days to start).

Primary for 12 Days. Secondary for about a week.

Notes: This beer will knock you on your butt. Originally I called it something lame like "Restatement Amber" (although it's significantly darker than a typical Amber Ale), until my SWMBO started calling it "Restatement Eight" after it's alcohol content (8%).

I serve it especially cold, and it is surprisingly refreshing, despite being pretty heavy. My friends have absolutely raved about it. It's hoppier than I thought it would be (I presumed it would be diminished by the 8pds of ADME), and the juxtaposition of the caramel malt taste and the brightness of the hops really gives it a distinctive taste.

I do, but it probably won't help you. I keep my beer in an apartment that oscillates from 62-72 degrees, depending on the time of day.

I just brewed this beer for the third time. It never fails to disappoint. If you brew it, let me know how it turns out.

Brewed up a batch of this Saturday morning - couldn't get Simcoe hops anywhere up here, and had to replace them with Summit for the full boil and Zythos for the later additions. Blew the top off the fermenter within 12 hours. Hooked up a blow off tube, and after the first 36 hours it settled down enough to go back to a standard airlock. Smells REALLY tasty - can't wait to get it in bottles in a few weeks and try it out! I'll let you know how it comes out . . .

Brewed up a batch of this Saturday morning - couldn't get Simcoe hops anywhere up here, and had to replace them with Summit for the full boil and Zythos for the later additions. Blew the top off the fermenter within 12 hours. Hooked up a blow off tube, and after the first 36 hours it settled down enough to go back to a standard airlock. Smells REALLY tasty - can't wait to get it in bottles in a few weeks and try it out! I'll let you know how it comes out . . .

Awesome! I'm really stoked to hear how it turns out for you! Like I said, it is always a crowd pleaser. But watch out, you might put on a few pounds because of how rich it is... :)

Back