Lactose is largely unfermentable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
I'm making a caramel cream ale that calls for lactose in the secondary for added sweetness. I pitched WLP002 into a 1.075 OG wort and waited. After a week I pulled a sample and measured a 1.008 FG. Almost too low. I didn't want to go overboard on the sweetness so I boiled a lactose solution with half the recommended amount and added it to the secondary, thinking that I would add the other half at bottling if it could use more. Wait two weeks...

Today I go out to check and theres a minor krausen ring in the carboy and signs of airlock activity. I can't imagine that my 1.008 gravity beer at one week is still going two weeks later. Is it the lactose? I see the wiki says lactose is "largely unfermentable". Largely? What does that mean? Now if I add another dose of lactose at bottling am I just bomb-making? Very strange.

lactose is really not fermentable. i think what you saw in the krausen is not the lactose, but when you added the lactose, you stirred (roused) up the yeast and remaining sugars.

"Largely unfermentable" may mean some of it, in the package, is already broken down into the constituent sugars; dextrose and galactose. It's also acid degradable, similar to sucrose, so maybe that happens a bit if it's boiled to sanitize.

Plus, the souring bacteria & yeasts, as mentioned above.

Basically Lactose is unfermentable by traditional beer brewing yeast strains. However, as other have said, there are some things that will ferment it. (ever found a jug of bad milk in your fridge?)

I double-checked the gravity this morning: 1.010. The sample from the hydrometer tube tasted like finished beer; no sourness evident. But I also got some very weak carbonation in the sample too. So I'm at three weeks, taste is good, gravity has been good for 2+ weeks, and still have signs of yeast activity? Makes me reluctant to put it in the bottle regardless of what's going on.

Back