Green Tea Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagtall

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone else noticed the amount of Green Tea product on the market...Green Tea candy, Green Tea soft drinks, Green Tea cold creams, Green Tea diet supplements, Green Tea Eggs and Ham, Green Tea underwear, etc., etc., etc.

well I have been drinking green tea for about 25 years, way before the craze...and I still do, but I was thinking...

If I ramped up the sugar content with Honey (Green Tea with Honey...D'oh, I could call it Arizona Green Tea w/Honey Beer, lol)...could I actually replace the Hops in my wort with the Green Tea leaves?

I would only do a small batch to see how it tastes...but I was thinking that maybe the green tea itself might counter act the fermenting process...I don't know I am not sure?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Anthony aka Dagtall

This is the only one I've heard of.

But green tea items have been pretty popular in other countries for quite a while. Green tea stuff was everywhere when I was in Shanghai, including Green Tea Häagen-Dazs.

Be careful about how much tea you add. I wanted to make my own green-tea energy drink so I used a bunch of green tea leaves and calculated how much caffeine it would add (similar to an energy drink). After brewing and drinking a batch I started to get sick in the stomach and began getting cold sweats.

I'm not sure if it was the caffeine itself, but it's worth mentioning that you might want to use caffeine free tea if you find yourself using enough of it as a bittering herb.

maybe because green tea is very low in caffeine so you probably needed a ton of tea!!!!!!

Well I used to drink arizona pomegranate green tea energy drink, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I found a green tea with pomegranate flavor that had 25-50mg of caffeine per bag...I can't remember but I think I used like 4-6 bags and let it steep for a really long time to extract the caffeine and flavor. I was so sick haha.

I would use hops as well as the green tea. Think of the green tea like a fruit.

Or even possibly brew a batch of good strong, well steeped, loose leaf green tea, and add it to your secondary, much like many of the adding coffee techniques.

I was thinking about that the other day after reading "extreme brewing" where there is a chamomile beer. I was thinking of making a Green Tea and Honey brew. Might be a great hangover cure.

Nice!

Thanks guys...

Yeah, keeping it as the flavoring additive (pre-brewed and reduced like and extract) seems the best way to go...Thanks.

And I'm actually looking to add a little caffeine kick to the beer as well...but I definitely should figure out a caffeine calculator...I just imagined a room full of drunk people bouncing off the walls on caffeine, ROFLMAO.

(note to self: remember to set up the hidden camera for America's Funniest Home Videos)

Organic Green Tea Beer, I'll have to order some of that...LOL

i made a honey green tea pale ale... i added 50 tea bags and a pound of honey to 170 deg water then added it to the wort at flame out... w the lemon flavpor of sorachi ace hops i cant wait to try it. bottling next weekend.... looks nice rt now... ill tell u how it goes and post my recipe if its good

Please do tell how it comes out, just got my new beer kit (the old one was just unacceptable) and will be brewing at the new window of opportunity (probly next month).

There are lots of different types of tea and much higher quality teas than what you'll find in the grocery store. I highly suggest not getting tea bags as they're generally full of dust and fannings. I also dislike "tea bag" flavor from standard bagged teas.

I highly recommend http://uptontea.com

I drink mainly black tea (usually iced), but the gunpowder (tightly rolled leaves) green teas might be a good bet for strong flavor (such as this one). Avoid jasmine unless you're interested in the scent & taste - it's very strong (but orange peel and jasmine might be interesting).

I'm not sure when the best time to add tea is, but you might want to try "dry hopping" too. You'll get very little caffeine addition without hot water (180 degrees F).

I can't comment on tea beer, just tea.

Been wanting to make one myself thinking bittering hops that are high AA. And lots of tea @ flameout for 3 min. To long and you lose a lot of delicate flavors

i made a honey green tea pale ale... i added 50 tea bags and a pound of honey to 170 deg water then added it to the wort at flame out... w the lemon flavpor of sorachi ace hops i cant wait to try it. bottling next weekend.... looks nice rt now... ill tell u how it goes and post my recipe if its good
Hey there Caseyd,
i've been looking for a green tea beer recipe for little while now and came across this post I was hoping to ask you how it came out and get your recipe. I think a green tea honey mead would be amazing too! I've made a lavender wheat beer using culinary lavender (floral not soapy fragrance) it was delicious. Randy Sprecher from Sprecher Brewery was in Cali at a brew pub I patronize here and tasted my lavender beer and said he wouldn't change anything about it. Very interesting flavor profile & very drinkable. I'll take it! :)

Back