Naked oats, any experience with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I made a smoked porter today and, in a last-minute decision, chose simpson's naked oats as opposed to the usual quick oats. I remember reading about their berry-like sweetness and typical oat mouthfeel. I also remember someone on the forum mentioning using these instead of toasting flakes oats for a similar effect.

To my surprise, these were not flaked and arrived mixed in with my other crushed grain. Since then I've began trying to research more about naked oats, but can't find too much info beyond berry like sweetness.

If you've used naked oats, was it because the flavor profile was preferable to quick or rolled oats or was it for a different reason? What would make you choose this over the other variety?

...never heard of 'naked oats' before, aka Avena nuda - (Nekkid oats?) ;)

Naked oats, so called because the kernels thresh free of the hulls, have been grown for centuries by farmers who enjoy the advantages of an oat variety that can be fed to young stock and poultry without being milled or ground, as hulled oats must be, and can also be easily used as porridge or other food for humans.

Got recipe? How much (%) of the grist do they comprise? I'm sure your Porter will turn out lovely.

I'd like to learn more about the flavors involved too. I've been considering a nice nut brown with wild rice but I like might me some Nekkid Oaty goodness instead...

(I just noticed that Simpson's Golden Oats are Malted/Kilned. I imagine that will change how they compare to rolled oats, probably would add more mouth feel and maybe some sweetness?)

Please let us know how your Porter turns out.

- M

nekkid: the art of being naked; being clothless whilst performing humorous things.
"Man Joe got nekkid last night and ran down the highway"

...never heard of 'naked oats' before, aka Avena nuda - (Nekkid oats?) ;)

Got recipe? How much (%) of the grist do they comprise? I'm sure your Porter will turn out lovely.

I'd like to learn more about the flavors involved too. I've been considering a nice nut brown with wild rice but I like might me some Nekkid Oaty goodness instead...

(I just noticed that Simpson's Golden Oats are Malted/Kilned. I imagine that will change how they compare to rolled oats, probably would add more mouth feel and maybe some sweetness?)

Please let us know how your Porter turns out.

- M

Yeah, as soon as it is drinkable I'll report back about what the oats bring to the party. As for the recipe, here it is:

Recipe: smoked porter
Style: 22B-Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged Beer-Other Smoked Beer

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 6.50 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.60 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.60 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.60 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.02 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.048 SG
Expected OG: 1.056 SG
Expected FG: 1.014 SG
Expected ABV: 5.6 %
Expected ABW: 4.4 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 29.6
Expected Color: 26.8 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
German Smoked Malt 5.50 lb (46.8 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Munich 10L Malt 3.00 lb (25.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Oat Malt 1.00 lb (8.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 40L Malt 1.00 lb (8.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt 0.75 lb (6.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Brown Malt 0.50 lb (4.3 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
UK Target (8.6 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End

Other Ingredients

Yeast: DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single infusion 158
Step: Rest at 155 degF for 60 mins

I just got some Simpson's Golden Naked Oats today, as a matter of fact! Here's what sold me (from Midwest's website!):

Product Description:
Golden Naked Oats: This malt lends a sweet berry-nut flavor. Use at a rate of 4-15% of the total grist to deliver a deep golden hue with light caramel flavors as well as a creamy, satin finish. Exotic ingredient for subtle nutty difference. Try this as a "secret" ingredient in your Pale Ales, IPAs, Bitters, Brown Ales, or Stouts - you'll love it! Lovibond Rating: 6.0-14°

I'm going to use some in an APA or an American Amber this week!

I just got some Simpson's Golden Naked Oats today, as a matter of fact! Here's what sold me (from Midwest's website!):

Product Description:
Golden Naked Oats: This malt lends a sweet berry-nut flavor. Use at a rate of 4-15% of the total grist to deliver a deep golden hue with light caramel flavors as well as a creamy, satin finish. Exotic ingredient for subtle nutty difference. Try this as a "secret" ingredient in your Pale Ales, IPAs, Bitters, Brown Ales, or Stouts - you'll love it! Lovibond Rating: 6.0-14°

I'm going to use some in an APA or an American Amber this week!

interesting they include its use for lighter beers. I wonder if it has the same haze effect as the rolled oats. If you remember, let me know how it turns out. It'll be at least 6 weeks before I taste mine out of the bottle :(

do these need to be cooked before adding to the mash, like other non-flaked oats?

i used some in a nut brown on a whim. My samples have tasted really good. I'm waiting for a keg to blow...

I bought some Golden Naked Oats a while back when they were on special at Midwest. I experimented with them in two beers (Pale Ale and Porter) and didn't like the flavor contributed by the oats in either. I didn't get "berry nut", I got "sharp dry nut" similar to a peanut.

I don't plan to use the remaining pound...

I bought some Golden Naked Oats a while back when they were on special at Midwest. I experimented with them in two beers (Pale Ale and Porter) and didn't like the flavor contributed by the oats in either. I didn't get "berry nut", I got "sharp dry nut" similar to a peanut.

I don't plan to use the remaining pound...

Well that's dissapointing. Have you toasted rolled oats before? Wondering if you think it has a similar profile in that case.

do these need to be cooked before adding to the mash, like other non-flaked oats?

I don't think so. From Simpson's website:
Huskless oat crystal malt. Exotic ingredient for subtle nutty difference.

Since it's considered a crystal malt, I'd think it'd be just fine in the mash.

Tasting smoked porter after it's been carbed. I have to say, the naked oats provide a big aroma. Although in my smoked porter I wish the aroma wasn't there. I'd love to smell the smoke, instead of just taste it. The sweet berry quality of the naked oats (at 8%) comes through very strongly. All I can think of is grape soda when I take a whiff. I hope this dies with age because the flavor of this beer is outstanding and the only thing holding this back from being a winner is the aroma.

interesting they include its use for lighter beers. I wonder if it has the same haze effect as the rolled oats. If you remember, let me know how it turns out. It'll be at least 6 weeks before I taste mine out of the bottle :(

I made Jamil's Red Rocket clone. It's a very hoppy amber, and I really can't detect the naked oats at all. However, it's clear as a bell. I guess I'll have to make the same beer without the golden naked oats, and see the difference. (It's only 3.67% of the grainbill).

Latest posts

Back