Hydrometer reading vs exposure to oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slainte

Reaction score
Hello all. New to brewing and new to the forum, so bear with me;)

I fear a stuck ferment, but I know not to trust the air-lock and to take gravity readings instead. But, won't I be exposing my precious wort to the ever evil oxygen each time I take a reading?

Any guidance/input would be greatly appriciated.

Sláinte!

How long has it been fermenting? If it has been more then 4-5 days give it a reading it won't hurt anything.

A few readings will not hurt it. Just don't go crazy and start taking readings every day. I could be wrong but I believe its said to be 1-5 ok 5+ and your doing too much. I usually take 2-3 readings per batch and have not had any problems. Just go slow don't splash and try not to stir up or swirl the beer while taking the readings. The CO2 is heavier that the air so it wants to settle on the beer causing a barrier between the beer and the air.

PS. Also remember when you crack it open we all want to stick our nose in and take a snort full only to burn our sinuses from the gas! So I suggest sniffing the tester once you got your reading.

I was wondering the same thing. When do you take your first hyrdrometer reading, and when do you take your last?

Would a good way to extract a sample from the carboy be a tukey dropper, where you can suck up some liquid? Thanks!

I take my first SG reading right after I stir everything up and right before I pitch my yeast. I take the next SG reading about a week or 10 days later, to ensure fermentation is finished. I either rack it then (like if I'm dryhopping in the carboy), or wait until I'm ready to rack it. Right before it's bottled or kegged, I double check to make sure it's really finished.

I have always used a sanitized, new turkey baster for pulling my samples.

Back