looking to trade stainless materials for some welding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
i am not sure if i should post this in the classifieds, or in the DIY, but here goes.

i have 4 large medical grade stainless containers here. they were used for medical oxygen.
stainlesscanistersanddrinkingath-1.jpg

these containers hold about 25 gallons from weld to weld before the domes on the end.

i figured they could each make 2 fermenters holding 12.5 gallons each.
using the hoppers at toledo metal spinning(the 14 inch hopper holds about 6.5 gal)
it would make then 19 gallons each. taking the dome into consideration we can call them 20 gallon units.

i would like to talk to someone about a trade for these tanks in exchange for giving me one or 2 of the completed fermenters.

i have other materials i could contribute to the build such as cornys to cut to make openings in the top.

please let me know if there is any interest in this.

That has Yuri_Rage written all over it.

Good TIG welders are rare but one place to check is where people build custom bicycle,s motorcycles, and cars. There are a # of custom shops in PA, so if you spoke with one of the fabricators and explained what you're looking to do I bet he or she would help on a weekend for some end product beverages. Just a thought that might point you in the direction. Good luck.

yea, thats part of the problem, i am looking for someone somewhat local. shipping would be killer on this stuff

i'm not that local. I can weld, but not good enough to say i'd make them for you. Good enough to try it myself and if i f*ck it up i wont worry about it. You wanna sell me one of those? What are the measurements? Estimated diameter? I'm going east next month (virginia) so i could be going through the area(ish)

Like i said, i can weld, but i'm afraid it would be way to much of a mess to say i could do it for anyone else. So if you decide to unload one of those for a decent price, lmk

they are 38" from weld to weld. estimate 4-5 inches for the ends.

hard to get a good measurement but the diameter is between 14 and 15 inches

Sorry, not an offer, but wrap a tape measure around the circumference and divide by 3.142 to get diameter.
Looks like it could be a very cool project.
-David

Those things are the bees knees. I hope you find someone to tackle the project. If I could weld.....

So you want to take one of these cut it in half weld a cone on one end with a bung for your trub dump and a racking port bung, the other end would be a cornie lid...What about legs or stand.
Pat

i can make a stand out of regular steel. thats not the problem. i have a stick welder. i just cant weld stainless.

I can do stainless. I'm gearing up for outage at Limerick so I'll be busy until mid april. If you stiil have these at that time I'd be happy to cut them and weld what you needed.

hoss. let me know when your available. i havent really been able to come up with a good design either. i was thinking about going to my LHBS and seeing if they would let me "play" with one of the conicals they have there so i can get ideas of lids, and such. not really too sure how i want to go about things.

Back