Tips for first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsGuy

Reaction score
I'm looking into starting homebrewing, with an extract kit first with the intention of ramping up to all grain brewing. Is there any advice or tips anyone can give me to avoid some pitfalls you guys have had in your experience?

Thanks for the help!

Well, I think one of the most important things is temperature control. Fermenting ales at 65 degrees and maintaining that temperature made a huge difference in my beer. The other big thing I watch out for is sanitation. With proper sanitation and temperature control, you have a much better chance of having great beer.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Welcome...this place is full of tips...Rather than reinvent the wheel, read the stickied threads in the Beginner's Forum, as well as the wikki...ANd if you have specific questions, ask away, but first use the search feature and type in what you're wondering, you'd be surprised to see that just about every topic you may wonder about has already been asked...and answered.

Also...this book is one of the best resources you could find, and it is readable online for free... howtobrew.com

Welcome to your new obsession *laughs evilly*

:mug:

I like reinventing the wheel - you learn more then then rehashing old news. -

first boil probs - once you get things boiling turn the heat down to a point where it is still boiling but not HIGH!

This will also help with not burning the bottom of the pot.

I do partial boils - make sure you get a BIG pot. Don't use a 3 gallon pot for a 3 gallon boil.

Revvy has it 100% right
Welcome to your new obsession

Yes - instructions - read them - follow them and once you learn more you will see tweaks and changes to the instructions (I don't dump 100% of the extract in for partial boils).

Have fun and be patient. A GOOD beer will not be good at 2 weeks. Plus - look into NOT using a secondary carboy. Seems to be a thing around here.

I just did my first brew yesterday. The only problem I had the whole time had to do with the dry malt extract. I cut open the bag about 2 feet straight above my burner, the bag slipped and a small amount spilled out of the bag, floated slowly to the burner and caught fire, I wasn't expecting it so when it flamed up I jerked backwards causing more dry malt to fly into the air. My wife said it looked like I was more or less engulfed in flame. As impressive as it may have looked, it didn't burn long and I'm only missing some hair on my right arm and my mustache and right eyebrow got singed.

So my tip is to remember that fine organic powder is pretty flammable when suspended in the air.

My wife and I really enjoyed the whole thing and we plan to do it all again, hopefully minus the being engulfed in flames part.

Oh, as a final note, we were using the burner from a propane turkey fryer, we had the forethought to have a fire extinguisher close by, but it wasn't needed in our case.

a fire extinguisher?! what a novel concept. I'm glad you're ok. That sounds scary.

As far as the OP goes, just make sure you sanitize everything that touches your beer after you boil, watch your fermentation temps, don't panic at any point, it probably won't get infected if you're sanitary about everything, keep it in primary until it is done, even if the kit says rack after 7 days to secondary, and give it enough time to carb in the bottles. Be patient. Maybe you can get a rabid pit bull to put in front of your beer until it is ready. A blowoff tube will be needed at some point, so keep that in mind too.

Oh, and read every sticky on this site and then read them again. There has been a lot off good advice given on this site and it is all still there if you look.

I just did my first brew yesterday. The only problem I had the whole time had to do with the dry malt extract. I cut open the bag about 2 feet straight above my burner, the bag slipped and a small amount spilled out of the bag, floated slowly to the burner and caught fire, I wasn't expecting it so when it flamed up I jerked backwards causing more dry malt to fly into the air. My wife said it looked like I was more or less engulfed in flame. As impressive as it may have looked, it didn't burn long and I'm only missing some hair on my right arm and my mustache and right eyebrow got singed.

So my tip is to remember that fine organic powder is pretty flammable when suspended in the air.

My wife and I really enjoyed the whole thing and we plan to do it all again, hopefully minus the being engulfed in flames part.

Oh, as a final note, we were using the burner from a propane turkey fryer, we had the forethought to have a fire extinguisher close by, but it wasn't needed in our case.

Hahaha LMAO! I know I shouldn't laugh - it must have been pretty scary but that is a hilarious image!! Your Homer moment. Kablamoh!

I think the most important thing to remember is that beer is fairly sturdy.

There are a lot of things that will improve your beer - like pitching rate and fermentation temperature control - but you can still make fine beer if you don't nail these things.

Doing it right is a great thing, but if you have to compromise on some of it, you'll usually be fine.

Pretty much the only thing to never compromise on is sanitation. The rest you can work on improving at as you go.

Oh, that reminds me. When you go to add extract (dry or liquid), to the boiling water, turn OFF the burner and remove from the hot burner if you can. Add the extract in stages, and stir, stir, stir. And once it's dissolved, turn the burner back on. That will keep the extract from falling into the pot into a huge clump and burn on the bottom while you try to mix it up.

Santize, sanitize, sanitize. Most important advice I think anyone can give. Fermenting at a stable temp that doesn't vary more than 1 degree + or - helps as well. In the end remember even if you missed your SG, FG, put hops in too late or too early, after you pitch your yeast, it all still makes beer.
When you get into all grain your sure to have some pitfalls to work out. Getting to know your equiptment seems to be a never ending process, thus try try again.

words about being engulfed in flames

You sir, are the first homebrewer I've known of to catch fire while making a batch of beer. Have a guitar army!
guitarist.gif
guitarist.gif
guitarist.gif
guitarist.gif

Oh, that reminds me. When you go to add extract (dry or liquid), to the boiling water, turn OFF the burner and remove from the hot burner if you can. Add the extract in stages, and stir, stir, stir. And once it's dissolved, turn the burner back on. That will keep the extract from falling into the pot into a huge clump and burn on the bottom while you try to mix it up.

Funny you should bring that up Yoop. I brewed the extract version of AHB "Arrogant Bastard" back in February, and it turned out FANTASTIC! I was brewing with Brewpig (who lived next door).

3 weeks later I brewed it again, and forgot to turn off the electric element in the boil pot. Brewpig wasn't around, so I was doing everything myself, and just forgot. I poured in all 10 pounds of malt extract... as I was pouring the in the last one, the element kicked in and I immediatley smelled brunt malt. I quickly shut it off and stirred like a madman.

Well, it tasted very burned, but i femrented it anyway. It tasted REALLY burned when I bottled it. It was really burned tasting 1 month, 2 monts, 3 motnhs later. Funnily enough, the burned flavour has dissipated as well as the hop bite and they have melded together beautifully. I am drinking one right now, and I quite enjoy it. The burned taste is a lot worse when it's ice cold, and mellows into the aroma and flavour as it warms to room temp.

If I could figure out how to burn it exactly the same next time, I would try it again... it's quite tasty!

Aside from all of the other great advice that others have given, I would add that IF you intend to stick with it, make your purchases for the ultimate objective (all grain). In other words, don't buy a 4 gallon pot, it simply won't work with all grain.

Also, once you are bitten by the homebrew bug (which will be after the first sip of your first homebrew) look at the DIY section before you make major investments in equipment. More often than not, it is cheaper to DIY than buy AND you get the satisfaction of using something you built.

Enjoy, have fun and when you have the urge to peek, poke, prod or otherwise harass your beer while it ferments, DON'T!

Oh, yeah... one more big thing...

WAIT

No matter how good your beer tastes... it will taste better if you wait longer... there is no real expiry on this. Beer that tastes great after 4 weeks will taste twice a good after 8 weeks, and infinitely better after 4 months if it's stored properly. Trust me, the best glass of beer in the keg is the LAST one!

Back