what happened? contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjjunior

Reaction score
Last night I opened a stout I made and it tasted a little spicy. I didn't put anything in it special. What do you think happened?

A little more info would help. What temp did you drink the stout at? Did you notice anything during fermentation? What was your bottling procedure? What kind of yeast did you use? How much sugar did you use? Is it over carbonated? What kind of hops did you use?

Steve

It was my first brew ever. And I didn't notice what temperature I drank it at. Whatever my fridge is at. Cuz it was in the fridge for a couple days after conditioning. I don't remember which hops I used. Not home.
And I messed up bottling with priming sugar. I didn't mix it with warn water before I added it to my brew.
And for the bottles. I boiled, then Sanitized, air dried, last I bottled
I used 3/4 cups of sugar

Could be "green beer", beer which still needs a week or two for the yeast to "clean up" various by-products of fermentation. If it was less than three or four weeks between pitching and bottling, or less than three weeks between bottling and drinking, your beer will probably mellow out a lot with another week or two of conditioning time.

Could also have fermented too warm, which can give you fruity or spicy flavors; for a stout, "too warm" is probably higher than 70 or so. If you're not actively controlling the temperature, just the warmth of active fermentation is probably enough to put you over the line. These flavors will also fade some with time, but less quickly and completely than "green beer" flavors.

That makes sense. Because I didn't have a good spot to let it sit and ferment. Where I put it initially it was to warm. 68-70 degrees. Thank you so much for responding

I wouldn't look at the yeast for spicy flavors in a non wheat beer. I'd say it was the hops used more than likely,like German noble hops.

Back