What type of beer is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcb2197

Reaction score
Considering the recipe below, what type of beer would this be classified as?

American Light Ale?
American Golden Ale?
American IPA?

Any ideas?

1 Can Muntons American Style Light Beer (LME)
1.1 Lbs of Pilson Light DME
1.1. Lbs of Carmel 10L (Crushed)
2.2 Lbs of American 2-Row (Briess) (Crushed)
1 oz Glacier Hops
7g of Coopers Yeast (I may use more, I have 14 grams)

I would say it's a cream ale, since you're not including aroma hops. However, if you intend to split some of the hops for a later addition, you might get away with calling it a blonde ale. However, your bittereness is probably going to be low for a blonde (especially if you're doing a partial boil). The crystal/dextrin is a bit atypical for a cream ale, since they tend to involve body-thinning (corn) rather than thickening (dextrin) grains. I'd go for it and call it cream ale.

(http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php)

Thanks gentlemen for the comments. Ill take your suggestions into account. I'm not going to get hung up on it though. It's my first beer, so as long as it taste ok, I'll be happy. Ill put a bit more thought into the recipe of my 2nd brew.

By the way,the 2-row will have to mashed. Can't just steep that one. So mash both the grains in 3-4.5 quarts of water,about 1- 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain at about 153F for 1 hour.

unionrdr said:
By the way,the 2-row will have to mashed. Can't just steep that one. So mash both the grains in 3-4.5 quarts of water,about 1- 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain at about 153F for 1 hour.

I did mash the grains, and I'm fairly satisfied with the results. I ended up with an OG of 1.038 and the airlock has been very active since the fermentation started.

Latest posts

Back