"Yeah, there's some honey in there, too...."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inexplorata

Reaction score
:ban:

So my wife, who just started keeping bees (yay!) was given some equipment from a colleague who just stopped keeping bees -- a neat pile of old-school gear, including a 100-year-old centrifuge.

And a big food-safe bucket. "Yeah, there's some honey in there, too," he told her. "It's a couple of years old, still good. Strain it and it'll be fine."

I looked in the shed today. And weighed the bucket -- 50 pounds at least!

... Put another way, this is Yet Another What Mead Recipe Should I Do Thread. I've got three wines and a cider going right now, one free carboy, and zero experience making OR drinking mead. Suggestions? DAOM? Something else? It's high-country wildflower honey.

The Stickies do have some pretty good advice. If you are going to do a regular mead then you will only need about 18 pounds for a 5-6 gallon batch and that will make a sweet mead for all but your champaign yeasts. It should be fairly potent of a mead. Did you want a recipie/process or something else? The process is fairly similar to a wine or cider. And sometimes it is equated with extract brewing. I would tend to stay away from the later.

What type of recipie are you looking for and how big is your carboy?

Matrix

Back