Problme with yellow jackets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine73

Reaction score
So i saw a lot of yllow jackets going in and iout from under the house naer the door. I claled an exterminator and he came and sparyed them wtih something. He told me they probably wouldn't even wake up in the morning. Well he was right, they didn't wake up in the mornign. But it's been four days now and they still haven't woken up, I'm wondering if I should call himi back.

Ohhh ok right they probaly are dead. Good I thought he meant I needed to call him back when they woke up.

and what is going on with my compost pile. I meant for years to start one, and I finally started heaping it in the back yard, and something meeps digging through it and stealing all the good stuff.

I have rarely been home for the last 2-3 months but when I came back I heard tales of these wasps of biblical proportions. Apparently they are terrorizing my roommates and until I saw a picture of one I did not believe they were as large as the stories told.

When I saw it... DAYUM!!!!!! The wasp itself is only probably 2 inches long but the stinger.... THE STINGER>>>>!!! I can't say in inches how long it was because it was cut off in the picture but I can compare it to a rhododendron leaf. In the picture the STINGER was the length of 1.5 rhododendron leaves before the pic was cut off. NO JOKE! I'm guessing it was at least 6 inches long.

I asked to get the photo emailed to me so I could post it but my roommate didn't do it... too much work for him...

porcupine73 said:
Ohhh ok right they probaly are dead. Good I thought he meant I needed to call him back when they woke up.

and what is going on with my compost pile. I meant for years to start one, and I finally started heaping it in the back yard, and something meeps digging through it and stealing all the good stuff.

Are you putting food in your compost?

Yea you have to separate food stuffs from yard waste food has to go into a sealed container you can turn and mix up. Unless you like raccoons as pets

A six inch stinger on a wasp, DAYUM is right, that sounds like it needs to be killed with fire.

Hm yes ok I may have put some food items in the compost not knowing that's a bad idea, like crab leg shell and eggs. But they also stole my kombucha mothers and I think they're steling my vegetable matter too. I just heaped it on the gruond with some laves and straw but i think i need a barrel or something.

I don't like racoons as pets, I dont like them much at all. Something dug holes right through my plastic garbage can a couple months ago and was pulling the garbage out that hole, I am guessing that was a skunk.

You can buy composters that are a big black barrel that rotates and seals. Or build one.

We are hot on the skunks round here lately.

Paint your eves, soffits and other overhangs sky blue, or haint blue. Wasps and such won't build so much on them.

There are some guys, like Howard Garrett, who are now saying it's okay to put animal products, like meat and fat, in compost, so long as you can keep the critters and flies away.

The critters will go for fresh, even freshish, veggie matter too. Once it breaks down some, they'll let it alone.

We use plastic garbage cans with holes drilled all over and snap on lids. It's mainly squirrels and opossums that would be getting at them here. The skunks tens to stay by the ditch. I don't think they care much for fence climbing. So far, so good for us.

ah ok good idea, and the yello jackets beter stay away from it too. I saw a cat has 55 gal food grade barrels on my craigslist for $12 maybe I will check that out. That would be kind of neat, could probably just use a hand truck to move the whole thing around then too maybe.

Back