Compression fittings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
I am mounting my 1/2" O.D. HERMS Copper coil with 1/2" O.D. Compression fittings. How tight do I need to tighten up the compression side of the connection? I have tightened it down till I heard metal squealing and the coil still moves in the compression nut. (if I wriggle it) Is some movement normal for compression fittings or do I need to lube the threads with some veg. oil and keep compressing the fitting?

If its metal to metal compression there shouldn't be any wiggle room. Oring compression on the other hand there might be a little wiggle but not much.

Huaco said:
I am mounting my 1/2" O.D. HERMS Copper coil with 1/2" O.D. Compression fittings. How tight do I need to tighten up the compression side of the connection? I have tightened it down till I heard metal squealing and the coil still moves in the compression nut. (if I wriggle it) Is some movement normal for compression fittings or do I need to lube the threads with some veg. oil and keep compressing the fitting?

I bet you have a stainless compression nut. Not sure it will compress on the copper. Best bet is remove it and use orings. Think 211 is the size, but check that.

Hi

Simple answer with any sort of fitting - you should not be able to twist it after it's tightened down. It's a good basic check to do any time you are putting things together.

Bob

It is a brass compression. Got a picture of the o ring method?

pretty simple, get a bag of silicon orings from McMaster Carr. Replace the compression ring with 1 or 2 orings, hand turn the compression nut till tight, turn 1/4 to 1/2 more.

I think this is the one, number 111 for 1/2 o.d.(works on 5/8 od also). It is the same as the oring from a keg disconnect.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9396K24

I think I also order 109 back in the day for 3/8 tubing.

here is another useful list of orings
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/mcmaster-keg-o-ring-list-233086/

Thanks for the response. This helps my build as well. Is there anything specific about needing "high-temp" o-rings since the herms coil will be up to 175 degrees or no prob?

NewBrewB said:
Thanks for the response. This helps my build as well. Is there anything specific about needing "high-temp" o-rings since the herms coil will be up to 175 degrees or no prob?

Just get silicon ones. They are fine. I use them in my bk, hlt, etc..

Back