Help with potential grenades!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wahoo Wheat

Reaction score
I added 5 ounces of priming sugar to my first batch of a wheat ale that yielded a little less than 4 gallons. My final gravity readings were right were they were supposed to be. I bottled using 1 litre and 16 oz heavy duty flip top bottles. My questions are several I guess: Are these bombs in the making? if so, should I open the tops on the bottles and let them burp? if yes, should I do it tonight? (I bottled them on Sunday evening) and if yes to that, how long should I let them sit with the tops undone??......

Or is there another solution that will work better??

thanks for any advice,

When it comes to overcarb'd bottles, there are two solutions I turn to:

1) Pour them into the water bowl in my smoker or use them in a dish like chili,

and

2) Chuck them at those damn neighbor kids when they get near your lawn.

I measure my priming dextrose by volume, not weight, so I'm not sure about 5oz. I use 3/4 cup per 5 gals.

It's always best to lean toward the safe side and keep them in a container to minimize any mess. Open 1 a week to see the progress. When the desired carbonation is reached, refrigerate.

Good luck,
Wild

You didn't say when you bottled. I'll assume just recently.

Check a bottle in about a week. If it's carbed enough for you then place all the bottles in the fridge to retard the carbonating process. They'll be ready to drink after another couple of days/week in the fridge. ;)

I know whenever I got Extract kits from AHS, hey always come with 4.5 ounces of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

I used 4.4oz. of corn sugar to bottle an american weizen last night... Of course mine yielded right around 4.5g...

I think you should be fine though!

Can't be as bad as the time when I, as a newb on my second trial batch, added 3/4 cup (I think its about 4.5oz) to only a 2.5g batch I had made... I was just too darned excited! Until I had to worry about bombs... Never had one them either. I chilled them after first signs of carbonation and they were a little foamy, but better than exploding glass! :ban:

Back