Yeast recommendation for hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a hefe yeast? I'm looking for strong banana and cloves. My tougue tends to prefer restrained use of hopps, so I want a hefe yeast that will be rthe star of the show. My LHBW tenbds to stock wye labs and white labs yeast strains for liquid.

I just brewed a pot of hefeweizen using a liquid yeast that the LHBS recommended. I am pretty sure it was the White Labs Hefeweizen but I would need to check tonight. The clerk at the store specifically mentioned the bananas and clove flavors that you are looking for. I will PM my phone number so you can text me later. I don't have internet at home right now.

Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan will give you the boom boom pow your tongue is looking for. As well as a very good reason to use a blow off. You have been warned.

Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan will give you the boom boom pow your tongue is looking for. As well as a very good reason to use a blow off. You have been warned.

Fermenting at the higher end of this strain's spectrum (low 70s) should give you what you want. A blow if is an important item for this fermentation. I always do my 5 gal batches with this yeast in an 8 gal bucket and seems to crest just below the lid but I also ferment much lower for a cleaner profile.

Do you have a recipe? I think simple is really the way to go with these beers.

Good Luck!

Do you have a recipe? I think simple is really the way to go with these beers.
Good Luck!

5 lbs pilsner
5 lbs wheat

.75 oz hallertau at 60
.25 oz hallertau whenever you want

maybe a bit too simple but that is pretty much it.

5 lbs pilsner
5 lbs wheat

.75 oz hallertau at 60
.25 oz hallertau whenever you want

maybe a bit too simple but that is pretty much it.

I'm an extract brewer, picked up a "simple" extract recipie from the top of the Hefe recipie board. Will compare your hops profile and adjust from there. Thanks.

Wyeast 3068 is the yeast you want. Ferment it in the 68-70 degree range and do a slight underpitch. This will get you lots of esters in the flavor profile. Tinga posted a good simple recipe. I would suggest pulling 1lb of pilsner out and replacing it with 1 lb of Munich. This will give you more of a traditional German flavor as the Munich will help create a bit of the flavor you would get with a decoction mash.

OK, here's what I've decided to start with:

5 LB wheat DME
1 LB munich 60 min @ 165
.75 oz hallertau @60 min
.25 oz hallertau @15 min
Wyeast 3060 @68F

If i like, might try again replacing Hallertau with Tennag for comparison purposes. Another question: If my tongue likes malt flavor, should I lean toward the low to medium attenuation yeast strains?

[hey, this krap's beginning to make sense!!!]

Back