have a batch and not bottles! ugh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligas

Reaction score
Well I have a Irish stout batch ready to add to the corn sugar/water mix and have realized I have no bottles, only brown screw tops....don’t ask. :drunk:

So my question is that besides busting a few bottles, am I up the creek without a beer? Do not want them to lose carbonation, or blow up.

Britten

You can cover it with the lid and airlock, and wait until you have bottles. Of course, the priming solution will ferment out, so you'll need to boil water and add the priming sugar again. It can wait for you until you have the bottles, especially if you hit up the recycling center and/or go dumpster diving this week.

Edit- if you didn't already add the priming sugar, you can still just wait!

This is good news. Stouts are much better when left to age awhile and you can't do better than letting it bulk age in a carboy. See there is a silver lining to most things.

Welcome to HBT! Hope to see you around.

....yep, going to let it sit for another few days until I go buy another batch of bottles. Thanks for making me wait for a better brew. :mug:

My LHBS is charging $14 per case of empty bottles. Surely you know some beer drinkers who drink beer that doesn't come with a twist off cap. Eight six packs. That's all you need.

Like said many times by many people, there's nothing wrong with twist tops when you have a good bench capper, I've got about 100 of them that have never exploded or lost carbonation.
Not to mention, you know that millions of twist top bottles are sold to the public (probably every day) and don't lose carbonation.
But anyway, leaving the beer in the fermenter for a while won't hurt if you refuse to use twist tops and have to wait a while before bottling.

I'd be willing to bet that most brewers who bottle don't have a bench capper. I have a two-hand-operated "freestyle" capper. It works fine, but I would not attempt to cap a twist off bottle top with it due to the thinness of the glass at the top edge.

No one expects a twist-off bottle to explode. They will lose carbonation if you don't cap them well. The biggest problem is the fragility of the glass and the natural variation in pressure when hand capping.

Do what you like. I toss out all such bottles because it's not worth risking my beer in them. I only save and use the pry off top bottles.

Ok. Your punishment for such insolent behavior is to wa...no wait...run to the beer store and buy two cases of beer. :D

What is this "buying bottles" you speak of? I hope you mean buying the pre-filled ones, so you have the pleasure of emptying them :)

What is this "buying bottles" you speak of? I hope you mean buying the pre-filled ones, so you have the pleasure of emptying them :)

Sam Adams bottles rock for homebrewing! The labels come off easily, and the beer inside tastes pretty darn good when you empty the bottles.

Buy a case of SA, and invite friends over. Put the empties in a big trashcan filled with some water and oxyclean, and pull out nice label free bottles and rinse well.

I use Grolsch bottles, too, since they have the EZ cap things. The beer isn't very good, though, but the bottles are fine (as long as you keep them in the dark, since the glass is green and skunking is an issue with green glass).

+1 on the Sam Adams bottles. Probably 1/2 my extensive stock of bottles are Sam Adams, and the labels do come off in oxyclean almost completely without bother.

+250 to Sam Adams bottles. Best for labels coming off. I like Sierra Nevada bottles cause they're cool and the beer is great. But their label are a little more stubborn then SAs

I've been using Guinness bottles, my roommate loves the stuff. The labels are just shrink plastic and the widgets are easy to pull out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I actually left the labels on some of them and bottled my own Irish stout in them and snuck them to the roomie. He commented that Guinness must have improved their recipe or something :)

I've been using Guinness bottles, my roommate loves the stuff. The labels are just shrink plastic and the widgets are easy to pull out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I actually left the labels on some of them and bottled my own Irish stout in them and snuck them to the roomie. He commented that Guinness must have improved their recipe or something :)

Haha, that's funny :D

Back