Primary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmballantine

Reaction score
Good Morning Everybody!

Is there a time limit for beer to sit in the primary fermenter? I'm getting ready to brew an American Amber Ale Extract Kit from AHS and wanted to know if 3 weeks in the primary was too long. I'll prolly move to a secondary for a week after that for more filtration/clarification, but wanted to know if staying in the primary that long would produce any off flavors.

Thanks!

Nope, in fact with three weeks you shouldn't even have to use a secondary, the beer should be nice and clear and you can even go 4 weeks primary with no problems!

You can search numerous threads regarding the debate of even needing secondary:)

nope, in fact with three weeks you shouldn't even have to use a secondary, the beer should be nice and clear and you can even go 4 weeks primary with no problems!

You can search numerous threads regarding the debate of even needing secondary:)

+1

3 weeks on average is good to get the beer down to Fg & settle out clear or slightly misty. sometimes it may take longer for an average gravity ale.

I just recently had an Irish Red that I left in the primary for 7 weeks (accidently lost track of time) :drunk: It came out perfect, no off flavors and very clear. Primary is your friend, I dont even think about secondary unless I am dry hopping or adding fruit.

You will be fine! Enjoy that American Amber!!

I'm doing a red sky ale recipe I got from my local home brew supply in Boone, NC. I'm doing 10 days in primary then 10 days in secondary. What would be the porpoise of this? This is my first batch and i want it to be good.

With most brews, there's no need for a secondary. More work and another opportunity to contaminate/oxygenate the brew.

Of course, if you want to rack a batch over to secondary before it's done in order to put a new batch on top of that existing yeast cake, that would be a good reason. Come to think of it, I might just do that next weekend.:mug:

I'm doing a red sky ale recipe I got from my local home brew supply in Boone, NC. I'm doing 10 days in primary then 10 days in secondary. What would be the porpoise of this? This is my first batch and i want it to be good.

Before you brew, read as much as you can around here about fundamental techniques. The main things to make it good are 1)sanitization, 2)getting your wort chilled to the mid-60's before pitching, 3)fermenting at a steady temp in the mid 60's 4) give it 3 weeks primary and at least 4 weeks in the bottles.

Relax and have fun!

Could it help clarity or gravity? Because I don't understand why my local shop would say that it would help with flavor.

They used to fear autolysis from the yeast dying in the old days. Not a problem now. It was racked to secondary asap for this reason. I guess old habits die hard. I leave it in primary till it hits FG. Then another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. It gives a cleaner/clearer beer come bottling time. It'll def taste better come time to drink.

Could it help clarity or gravity? Because I don't understand why my local shop would say that it would help with flavor.

Your shop owner has a main purpose to the shop, to make money by providing goods and services to people. He isn't paid to do research or to be a teacher. His suggestions are probably based on what he does or popular "wisdom". 5 years ago the popular wisdom said you had to get the beer off that yeast or you would get off flavors. This had a good basis when applied to commercial quantities but it's been proven incorrect for home brew quantities. The popular wisdom will eventually catch up on this but it will take years.:mad:

[\QUOTE]Before you brew, read as much as you can around here about fundamental techniques. The main things to make it good are 1)sanitization, 2)getting your wort chilled to the mid-60's before pitching, 3)fermenting at a steady temp in the mid 60's 4) give it 3 weeks primary and at least 4 weeks in the bottles.

Relax and have fun![/QUOTE]

I agree, but would add another item, pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast.

Back