What is your favorite flip top bottle size and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite flip top bottle size?

• 500ml

• 750ml

• 1 liter

Results are only viewable after voting.

Beer_Eugenics

Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger and bought flip top bottles. After debating whether to buy 500ml, 750ml or 1 liter I decided to get the 500ml. At almost 90 dollars (which could almost buy a brand new keg) to bottle five gallons ($75 for the 750ml or $60 for the 1 liter) I have to say it is well worth the money, not only for the novelty factor but the 500ml pours perfect in to a 20oz glass and the sound opening them is the icing on the cake. So my question is weighing the pros vs. the cons what is your favorite flip top bottle size and why?

I finally pulled the trigger and bought flip top bottles. After debating whether to buy 500ml, 750ml or 1 liter I decided to get the 500ml. At almost 90 dollars (which could almost buy a brand new keg) to bottle five gallons ($75 for the 750ml or $60 for the 1 liter) I have to say it is well worth the money, not only for the novelty factor but the 500ml pours perfect in to a 20oz glass and the sound opening them is the icing on the cake. So my question is weighing the pros vs. the cons what is your favorite flip top bottle size and why?

This isn't exactly answering your question, but I think they all have unique merit. I was lucky enough to acquire a few cases of each size in a big craigslist buy when just getting into the hobby, so when bottling I use all 3 sizes as well as some 12 & 22 oz cappers. I just like having different sized bottles of homebrew for different situations. I recommend picking up a bunch of extra rubber gaskets and changing them frequently, but you won't regret paying a little extra for a nice supply of swing-tops.

I'd say I like 500ml and 1L better than 750ml, but that's because my 750ml were Chocorubbica bottles that a friend gave me. It was a multday project to get the evil glue of those bad boys.

Seriously though, I've got a case of 500mL and a case of 1L flip tops. Works out to pretty close to enough bottle for a 5 gallon batch. I use them for bubbly beers I won't be cellaring - petite saison and berliner weisse mostly. I'll get more, but I'm too cheap to buy them new.

I have 5 or 6 1L flip tops. I typically fill up one or two every batch. I like this size because they're perfect to take to a friends house, or open one up when friends are over.

We brew a lot of Belgian and use a variety of sizes, but mostly the 500ml... Most of our Belgian beers are north of 9%... so drinking more than 1-2 bottles of 500ml is a tough act. 750ml is good for splitting a bottle and the 1000ml is good for a party... and makes bottling day a little easier...

For a while I had a half dozen bottles of Ficher, a French beer that came in 660mL. I found that was the best size.

I found my 1L and 750mL bottles were too much for me. But great for sharing.

I prefer 500ml because (my opinion only) a pint is the way a beer should be served. That's all.

That would probably ruin them for me too, but I've only had a couple flip tops not seal. I prefer the pint size Grolsch bottles myself, but the big 32 oz have their purpose as well. Only have 1 Fisher bottle with the boy drinking from the pitcher, haha wish I could find more!

Latest posts

Back