Different sized plastic dip tubes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyjerky214

Reaction score
I got an incredible deal on a bunch of kegs from a guy last summer at $20 a piece (he even threw in one for free because the relief valve wasn't working). I just got ready to use three of them for the first time, and they all have plastic gas dip tubes that need to be replaced. Problem is, they're two different sizes.

The dip tubes for two of them are this style and have an OD of .25", so I'm assuming these would work: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TAPERED-PLASTIC-GAS-DIP-TUBE-P2570.aspx
IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Here's the real problem. This one has a slightly smaller diameter. About 1/32 of an inch smaller. It doesn't sound like much, but I can't get the .25" tubes into it.

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Does anyone sell smaller dip tubes, or am I going to be stuck having to drill this one to make it bigger?

Why do they need to replaced? If they aren't touch beer just clean and put back in. Are they cracked or something?

Does anyone sell smaller dip tubes, or am I going to be stuck having to drill this one to make it bigger?

I had a similar issue, bought a Challenger IV keg that came with a warped plastic dip tube, and the normal metal dip tube that you use would not work, as they only went about a half inch in.

So I had to decide between drilling the opening or cutting the metal dip tube to about a third of an inch. After doing some research it seemed much easier to simply cut the metal dip tube down to size. Quick, easy, and it has worked great for me.

- Houdini

Thanks, I actually had no idea what those were and thought it was weird that there weren't any o-rings on them. Could be possible that those are the culprit and not the dip tube itself.

Probably the plastic insert leaking. On those I don't even think you need to install the dip tube, but if you do I would opt to replace them with stainless and just drill out the holes.

Back