American IPA Bee Cave Brewery IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you haven't brewed it before, I'd suggest trying it to recipe first, then try jacking it around with some other tweaks if you want.

This is one of my favorite brews - I'm on my third batch of it now, and I have NO desire to tweak the recipe. It's really good as is.

I brewed this a little over a week ago and so far it tastes really good! Thanks for the recipe. I brewed your pale ale last summer and it came out horribly...Maybe b/c I have no air conditioning in my house and I brewed it in July during record heat. I think the temp got to around 80 F +/-. Tasted like a rubber band. I've since built a cooling system (son of fermentation chiller) and my beers have been turning out really good so I figured I'd try another one of your recipes. I knew that all these people liked your recipes for a reason! Its gonna be even better after dry hopping! :mug:

I'm doing an all cascade version of this except I have crystal 80 on hand but not any 60. Should I change the mash temp to compensate?

I was thinking about mashing around 151 and bumping the ibu's about 10 points.

EDIT:Think I should reduce the amount of crystal in general? I'm inclined to just go w/ my gut and mash a little lower, never hurts to bump the IBUs either :D

I'm doing an all cascade version of this except I have crystal 80 on hand but not any 60. Should I change the mash temp to compensate?

I was thinking about mashing around 151 and bumping the ibu's about 10 points.

I would not be afraid to increase the IBUs a bit. Good beer but I could be a little more bitter.

I made this a month ago (05/17) and only added the dry hops 3 days ago. Sealed the keg with 40#'s of co2 in the keezer at 29F. Had to have a taste today. I'm not big on IPA's (yet) but this is absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try EdWort's Kolsch I have which is ready to keg and tomorrow I'm brewing EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale to throw on the Kolsch yeast cake. Once again, thank you EdWort for another great recipe!

Oh yeah, thanks to the Brewmasters Warehouse crush, I ended up with an OG of 1.073 making this one about 7% ABV!

DSC00565.jpg

Just tasted my first bottle and I have to say this is the best brew I've ever made. The brew is not overly sweet and has a nice balance. Edwort your recipes always seem so simple but turn out so good!

Just Brewed this in mini-mash form. Sounds delicious when you read it. Smells delicious when you brew it. And I know it will taste delicious when i drink it. Props!

Can this be ready in 4 weeks? Or no way? Kegged..........

Not really. These days I ferment 10 days to two weeks. Dry hop another 10 days, then on gas for 1 week to carb and it keeps getting better till about 8 weeks.

Yep, it's about 8 weeks before I drink a batch of a beer these days and the patience is worth it.

You could rush things into 4 weeks, but you would have green beer IMHO.

Yeah I kinda figured. I've just been so busy lately. I wanted to brew something tasty for a upcoming function. Oh well, I'll still brew it it and save it for myself. That sounds like a way cooler plan anyway.

When you dry hop this in the keg, do you hit it with a little gas just to set a layer on top, or do you just transfer and seal it up?

Thanks. I brewed this last Sunday, so I'm approaching the 10 day mark. Plan to transfer it to the keg this weekend.

Just took a hyrdrometer reading at it's right at the 1.016 and tastes pretty darn good (green but good). Can't wait to get a taste of this after dry hopping. Great recipe, thanks!

Has anybody else noticed that this is really bitter? It's been in the bottle for 4 weeks and is still overpoweringly bitter. Anybody have any advice on this?

Not really. These days I ferment 10 days to two weeks. Dry hop another 10 days, then on gas for 1 week to carb and it keeps getting better till about 8 weeks.

Yep, it's about 8 weeks before I drink a batch of a beer these days and the patience is worth it.

You could rush things into 4 weeks, but you would have green beer IMHO.

Ed,
What is your temp and psi during that one week on the gas?

Thanks!

Brewed this yesterday. I fly sparged for the first time and I have to say I like it.
The mash went a little longer than 90 minutes and the mash temps were a little low for the first 30 minutes or so.
OG into the boiler was 1.068 and 1.076 going in the fermenter. I am not sure what to attribute the higher OG to but it was crazy high eff. according to Beersmith.
I was thinking of adding an ounce of Columbus to the ounce of Centennial for dry hopping. Anyone dry hopped with that combination before?
Thanks.

I made this and dry hopped with only Columbus. Pretty awesome. The combo of Columbus and Centennial should work fine.

How do you remove the ball after dry-hopping?

They hang from sanitized 30 lb test monofilament fishing line from the keg lid.

I have a few keg lids with stainless tabs for hanging hop bags & balls so I can remove them after 10 days.

dryhoplideg9.jpg

When I put your recipe into beersmith, I'm getting 67 IBUs with 15% AA Warrior and 10% Centennial.

I'm going to make two 1/2 batches this weekend, one with different hops. Just so I'm in the ball park, what were your AA percentages?

Thanks!

Just brewed this for my first time on my birthday last week. I've only made one IPA so far that I really enjoyed so I'm hoping for big things with this one!

One question however, I began mash at 153 and by the end of 90 minutes I had definitely dropped off to 149-150. Wonder if I should be looking at lactose additions for a little maltiness to counter all that beautifull bitterness!

What do you think?
Cheers

Just brewed this for my first time on my birthday last week. I've only made one IPA so far that I really enjoyed so I'm hoping for big things with this one!

One question however, I began mash at 153 and by the end of 90 minutes I had definitely dropped off to 149-150. Wonder if I should be looking at lactose additions for a little maltiness to counter all that beautifull bitterness!

What do you think?
Cheers

I wouldn't worry about it. Stone's brews (which this recipe is close to) are pretty dry and highlight the hops, so I don't think it would come out bad at all.

I wouldn't worry about it. Stone's brews (which this recipe is close to) are pretty dry and highlight the hops, so I don't think it would come out bad at all.

Alright! Game on and I'll just RDWHAHB man! And right now I'm enjoying one of my last 3 Arrogant Bastard clones! Mmmmmmmmm, tasty!

I've been searching for a great IPA to brew; one that retains a malt foundation, has good floral notes, good but not overpowering hops, and plenty 'o flavor. After reading through this thread, I decided to brew a batch of this today, exactly per recipe, and I have to say that if the final product is anything like the shot of wort I tasted when I tested OG, I will be one happy camper!

Thanks for the great recipe, EdWort!

Very nice. I need to have a coupe of those made up myself.

This is a great idea. I used a stainless flat washer and some JB weld. I put the washer in a vise and bent it in a 90o. Worked like a charm.

This has become my favorite beer by the way. I use Columbus and Amarillo but everything else the same. Sometimes I get a pint of 1056 from the microbrew down the street but this is really good beer with any IPA yeast.

Thanks for the KISS recipes Edwort.

Dave

I brewed this today as my 2nd AG and 4th beer overall. Hit right at 1.065 with about 3 gallons going into the fermenter. Did Ed’s Pale Ale as my first AG last week and I have about 4.5 gallons of Apfelwein that I “brewed” on the 28th of December so I have a lot of Ed’s recipes sitting in the fermenter but haven’t tried any yet hope they are good.

Thanks Ed! This beer came out great. My mash was low in temp and this beer is dry, but we absolutely love it. I guarantee it won't last long!

Cheers

JUST finished brewing this up. My OG was 1.079, but I came a little shy of 5 gals (I scaled down to 5 gals btw... :p)

I think I may just need a little more water to hit 5 gal after a 90 min boil

I have 11 gallons of this ready to go into the kegs from primary for dry hopping. My question is what do you set the psi at for the kegs while they are dry hopping for 10 days at room temperature? Standard 2.5 volumes or a lower psi?

edit:
btw I've never dry hopped before, so this is my first time

at room temp, I think most of us are just conditioning or dry hopping, not actually carbing up the beer. Seal it up with a good 30 or so psi boost, that will at least get you a little head start on carbing before you chill it down and put it on the gas permanently

I am doing my first brew this Saturday and was thinking about making this. I want o make 10 gal though so please correct me if Im wrong but this is what I need

22# Pale ( What kind of Pale?)
2# Munich
24 oz. Crystal 60L

Single Infusion for 90 minutes at 154 degrees.

2 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
2 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
2 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Also I was going to BIAB with a 15 gallon kettle. Would that be big enough to hold all of the water and grains?

Sorry for all the dumb questions

That looks about right but that would be for an 11g batch. As far as the biab I haven't done that yet but I'm pretty sure you might have some problems with a 15 gallon kettle. I don't think there's any way you'll get ~14 gallons of water and 20+ pounds of grain to fit in there. You could do a single batch though.

But this is a great beer for your first brew so good luck. And Semper Fi to you

Cheers

Use 6.6 pounds of DME and steep the Munich and the Crystal.
Couldn't the same effect be had steeping a Crystal Munich malt and likely get more fermentables out of it? Would it be worthwhile to BIAB partial mash 1# of munich malt grain then move on with the extract boil? just trying to figure out the best way to include the Munich element and stay as close to the original specs while using extract for the heavy lifting.

Thanks.

Brewed this recipe today, 10 gallon batch. Looks great! Got 83% efficiency, so we ended up at 1.072. Oops. :) Really looking forward to tasting this!

I love Centennial hops.

Back