Letting cold wort sit overnight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCarnie

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has time problems like me. I can afford to do 2-4 hours here and there throughout the week. But i'm not really home enough to devote the full 8 hours to do the entire process every time. So i tried something new (to me at least) I made the wort, and let it sit in the kettle in the corner covered for 2 days. After the 2 days i found time to cook the beer and actually finish the process. Everything turned out fine and my India style porter taste great. But this seemed much easier for my busy life. Anyone know of any potential problems with me doing this again?

I have seen a lot of people do this and seen to be fine, just don't mash overnight unless you want a nice dryyyy beer.

the thing is for me is once I am done sparging, the boil is the home stretch and I feel like I am almost done anyways.

The risk is that bacteria will make your wort sour before you finish.
But if you are making beer you like to drink, then I'd say your process works.

You shouldn't have to worry too much over 24 hours. I did it. Timewise it was great.

You're boiling it and killing anything in there.

i mashed last night and boiled today. it was the least stressful batch I've ever done, and it was my first AG batch. 3 hours on a saturday versus 6 is much better. Less complaining from wifey and more time to spend with the kids. I'll be using this method from now on.

Remember seeing this in BYO a few years back. I've had a few nights that I wanted to wait until the next day, but if I don't finish it up right away, I'll just keep putting it off.

Back