Belgian Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkane101

Reaction score
I brewed a PM Belgian Quad from AHS. The kit suggested OG to be 1.098, I came close, 1.098 @ 80 degrees which put it at 1.100. Pitched the suggested amount of yeast from Mr. Malty, took about 12 hours to kick in then went wild. Ambient temp was 75 which, from what i've read, is ok with this type of brew.
Anyway the kit called for me to rack to a secondary between 5-7 days. I waited until the 8th day...gravity reading was at 1.030.

Now I'm thinking that I should have left it in the primary for another week. My question is do you think since it has been removed from the yeast cake will there be enough yeast in suspension to continue fermenting in the secondary? I'm looking to hit 1.022

Yeast: WLP500

You'll be fine. There are plenty of yeast to finish the job as long as you made a big starter. High gravity beers can be hard to finish. Keep watching it just incase.

Yeah, I think it'll work out fine. I'm just going to let it sit in the secondary for at least a couple of weeks before I go mucking around for another gravity reading.

The yeast in suspension will begin settling out in a few days. When this starts, you could give it a little swirl to kick them back up into suspension every day for a few days. This can net you a few more points of attenuation. I just did this with a Quad that went from 1.090 to 1.009.

Update on this Quad..

After sitting in the secondary for a couple opf weeks and after a few hydrometer measurements it looks like this brew has stopped at 1.028. The beer has cleared wonderfully and the sample is tasty although it's got a bit of alcohol heat which I attribute to it being very green for the style. Also the mouthfeel is a little thin...I'm guessing that'll change when I bottle it and it get carbinated?

Any feedback on the current gravity? What would you do? What would Revvy do?? (new T-Shirt idea?? lol) :cross:

c'mon my fellow brewers! Do i repictch or just bottle? I suppose I could just leave it in the carboy for another month or so as is although I dont think it's going to go any lower..

c'mon my fellow brewers! Do i repictch or just bottle? I suppose I could just leave it in the carboy for another month or so as is although I dont think it's going to go any lower..

Bottle it. 1.028 is high, but the yeast are done. And I really doubt this will feel thin after some time in a bottle.

Thanks for the response carnevoodoo, about the bottling...I 've read various methods. Pitch some freash yeast; add various amounts of table suger etc etc.
I was going to just going to use 4.5 oz of priming sugar in a couple of cups of water. You think that'll be good enought. I'm more then happy to let this sit for several months before opening :)
Again...thanks tons for you suggestions!

Cheers..

Thanks. You guys rock....seriously I apprciate all the insight and help.

Back