drinking beer straight from the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unfabled

Reaction score
So my first batch has been in the primary fermenter for about two weeks now.

Fermentation is complete. However, I ran into some money trouble... don't have any extra bottles around nor do I have the ability to buy a keg.

What are my options for serving the beer straight from the fermenter? My fridge is big enough to fit it...

Fermentation is complete. However, I ran into some money trouble... don't have any extra bottles around nor do I have the ability to buy a keg.

What are my options for serving the beer straight from the fermenter? My fridge is big enough to fit it...

Won't work all that well. The fermenter is not designed to hold pressure, so their is no way to carbonate it. PET soda bottles are your best bet.

I've enjoyed some of my beers at bottling time enough that I put a pint or two in the Fridge to drink flat. Not sure how well I'd enjoy an entire batch that way. If you do decide to try it, make sure you age your beer (primary and-or secondary) to take off some of the green edge.

How long will it be before you can 'afford' some bottles or a keg? You can leave your beer (for months) in the primary with no ill effects. I would say start saving your regular empties as long as they are NOT twist off bottles. Lots of brewers do this and it saves $$$.
-Me

How long will it be before you can 'afford' some bottles or a keg? You can leave your beer (for months) in the primary with no ill effects. I would say start saving your regular empties as long as they are NOT twist off bottles. Lots of brewers do this and it saves $$$.
-Me

And dumpster dive, ask friends, hit up the beer stores in town and offer to pay just the deposite on any of their empties, hit recycling bins and centers on saturdays, look on craigslist, and freecycle.com...put adds on both craigslist and freecycle, ask at your homebrew shop, see if theirs a club in your area, put something up at bulletin boards at your grocery store...there's any number of ways to acquire empties, quickly.... Ask at your local bars...and if there's any wedding reception halls either ask for or dumpster dive their champagne bottles since they hold pressure and can accept a crown cap....

Before I started, when my nephew brewed I gave him all my empties and he gave me a sixer back for every case worth I gave him...when I started brewing people gave me bottles...you might consider making the same offers to friends, families, neighbors....

In my apartment building several of my neighbors offer me their bottles.

In other words, no matter how broke you are, with some creativity you can get plenty of bottles.

:mug:

Hello there! My wife found me 10 cases of beer bottles on craigslist for free!! Had to take the labels off, but what a score!! Like Revvy said, with some imagination they can be had for free/cheap!

you shouldn't have spent all that money on the website before bottling your first batch... ;)

absolutely jones all the bottles you can off people. what kind of capper do you have? if it's a bench capper, you can likely use twist-offs if that's all you can find. i guarantee, before you know it, you'll have 48 bottles.

And dumpster dive, ask friends, hit up the beer stores in town and offer to pay just the deposite on any of their empties, hit recycling bins and centers on saturdays, look on craigslist, and freecycle.com...put adds on both craigslist and freecycle, ask at your homebrew shop, see if theirs a club in your area, put something up at bulletin boards at your grocery store...there's any number of ways to acquire empties, quickly.... Ask at your local bars...and if there's any wedding reception halls either ask for or dumpster dive their champagne bottles since they hold pressure and can accept a crown cap....

Before I started, when my nephew brewed I gave him all my empties and he gave me a sixer back for every case worth I gave him...when I started brewing people gave me bottles...you might consider making the same offers to friends, families, neighbors....

In my apartment building several of my neighbors offer me their bottles.

In other words, no matter how broke you are, with some creativity you can get plenty of bottles.

:mug:

made_at_www_txt2pic_com.jpg

-Me

+ 1 on recycling center , especially if your cans and bottles have a deposit on them , or try bars , clubs , exc. all for free or the deposit charge, you can get some large wine bottles for making mini batches for experimenting this way as well.

I remember scavenging for bottles ... and don't miss it. start saving for a keg setup, then you can bottle a few as needed , but not have to scrub and wash cases of bottles at a time... gets old fast. (but its worth it) brew on.

I'm a newbie with just two batches under my belt. When I started my first batch I just asked guys at work if they would help out and save any pop-top beer bottles they had. One guy in particular was having a party the next weekend and brought in a full case of empties the next week. That plus the bottles I had been saving from my own consumption were enough for the first batch.

After that I've just been saving new bottles of my own. Between my own new bottles and reusing empties from my first batch I had enough for the second. I echo the recommendation to grab champagne bottles. Even if you only have one or two (or even a handful of those 22oz bottles) it can really save you on bottling day if you come up short.

Between friends and coworkers you shouldn't have any trouble rounding up some freebies.

I have to scavenge for bottles too. My best luck has been calling banquet centers before the weekend and ask them to save champagne bottles. They'll give them to you for free, they're 25 ounces, and look Bad a55. And if they're american they take a regular cap.

Find some friends with money and get them (and help them) to buy and drink as much Grolsch as possible. Don't worry, after the 2nd or 3rd bottle you don't even taste it anymore. I have a friend who will buy a 4pack of the swing top Grolsch bottles just for me. :)

I'm in Frisco and can toss you some bottles as well.

FYI - you can buy a case of 12oz amber bottles from MWS for much cheaper than drinking to get them. Not as fun though.

Latest posts

Back