Glass carboys versus better bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob869007

Mmmmm Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any detrimental issues with the plastic carboys? I have heard that glass is heavy. It is temperature sensitive. But what are the negative aspects of the better bottle? Do they absorb flavors? Or are they completely no porous? I'm wondering what do the majority of you use and why. Thanks.

It's a hot debate and one brought up almost weekly. Try out the search function up top and search plastic, better bottle, etc.

I was anti better bottle until I got one...The only drawback to better bottles is they suck airlock juice when you move them...other than that there are a few reasons why they are in fact, better.

It is kind of difficult to search for a thread on better bottles vs carboys. The search engine takes out the word better and vs because they are too common, so you are left with a bunch of threads that mention carboys and bottles.

It is kind of difficult to search for a thread on better bottles vs carboys. The search engine takes out the word better and vs because they are too common, so you are left with a bunch of threads that mention carboys and bottles.

If you hit "Search" on the little nav bar above, there is an option for an integrated Google search, pretty much eliminates the problem.

A home brewing beer and wine making civilized discussion community. Also with beer/wine/mead/cider discussion, pub talk, and general chit-chat. - Search Results for better bottle glass

I know I know...but this guy just got filled:
Oud_Bruin_003.jpg

I have two 6.5 gallon and two 5 gallon glass carboys. One better bottle. I just used it for the first time recently and really loved it! I move my brews from upstairs to downstairs a couple times in their cycle, so it was nice not dealing with big heavy glass. I haven't tasted the beer yet, but what could go wrong? Honestly.

I'll be able to judge for myself soon enough. Have 3 glass carboys and just got a 6 gallon BB. Going to see how it works. It came in the mail with the side dented in though :eek:

I originally bought two glass carboys used. Both have worked wonderfully, though they are heavy to move around when full. I recently needed another bottle, and I bought a better bottle. This weekend, after bottling a batch of beer (how many b's is that now???), I was unpacking my truck and the glass carboy rolled out onto the ground, shattering into hundreds of chunks and shards. It reaffirmed my decision to buy better bottles now!

Mike

I've never used glass carboys before but I really like the features that better bottles have. The racking adapter/easy flow valve makes transfer from primary to secondary really easy and pain free. It's also nice for bottling because your wand goes right up in the adapter. If you choose to you can do an oxygen free transfer as well.

I LOVE my ported better bottle with the racking adapter. They're expensive yeah,but the good stuff always costs more. You get all the benefits of glass with many additional advantages and with the racking adapter you can rack off every last drop without siphoning ( tip it while it's draining). They're so great that I'm gonna shell out $56.00 for another soon.

I have never used better bottles. I have heard some people tell me they are prone to scratching.

What size vinyl tube would you need to fit in the better bottle neck for a blow-out tube? I use a 1" in my glass carboys fine.

How do better bottles do for long term aging? I have a couple of big beers coming up that will need to sit for a while, and I need to get another carboy. I was thinking of getting a BB.

How do better bottles do for long term aging? I have a couple of big beers coming up that will need to sit for a while, and I need to get another carboy. I was thinking of getting a BB.

I think ok. The only issue I had was I used those carboy caps. One fit great, the other apparently was a little loose and the wine (I had wine it that one) oxidized slightly. I had the wine in better bottles for months. The one with the better fitting lid was perfect. I just wish I would have noticed the cap not being 100% before I did.

I've aged beer for only about 2-3 months in the better bottle, but it worked great for me. I use the same precautions I do with glass- keep out of direct light and cover with a blanket.

Weight is always a big concern for me. I'm a weakling and hauling full 6 gallon carboys around for racking is tough. For that reason I love the better bottles. I probably will still use glass just as often, but use those carboys on one level and not for moving from basement to upstairs and vice versa for cold crashing.

I've had wine in better bottles for over a year with no issues. I've had beer in them for a little over 9 months as well.

Now... what a discussion... I am now thinking wholeheartedly on buying a better bottle.. glass carboys are just so expensive and I see no drawbacks to the better bottle.... especially on its durability and the ease in carrying it around, and it seems people with glass carboys have had some ringing endorsements of better bottles. I'm on AHS website right now and im tempted to press the purchase button...

I can't speak from experience because I have not used either. I'm in market though, and have been leaning towards a glass carboy because I'm kinda weird about food touching plastic for extended periods of time.

HOWEVER...... last night I knocked two wine glasses off of the counter, and just 15 minutes ago I broke a pane of glass closing the window. This has got me reconsidering the better bottles.

(And no I wasn't drunk either time.)

I originally bought two glass carboys used. Both have worked wonderfully, though they are heavy to move around when full. I recently needed another bottle, and I bought a better bottle. This weekend, after bottling a batch of beer (how many b's is that now???), I was unpacking my truck and the glass carboy rolled out onto the ground, shattering into hundreds of chunks and shards. It reaffirmed my decision to buy better bottles now!

Mike
I always carry my carboys in milk crates. If you had milk crates you'd still have your carboy.

It's not the fault of the carboy or gravity that broke it...it was yours. ;)

I have 1 Conical 2 glass carboys 2 Better bottles and 3 plastic pails they all work just fine thank you. I have even noticed if I don't plan harvesting the yeast I don't even consider using the conical.

Thanks Kilted now I want a damn barrel...

Glass Carboys used to be cheaper and more readily available, however recently the prices have increased and BB are now usually cheaper.

Glass is scratch resistant, impervious to O2 and rigid.
It is also heavy and fragile. They can be dangerous if dropped.

Better bottles are nearly impervious to O2, light and scatter resistant.
They can be scratched somewhat easily and will flex a little when moved.

I have not noticed that either picks up any flavors or smells. Cleaning either is easy with a good cleaner like PBW.

I'll buy BBs because the risk of dropping a glass one is not worth it. Plus the BBs are easier to handle when empty.

Craig

I can't speak from experience because I have not used either. I'm in market though, and have been leaning towards a glass carboy because I'm kinda weird about food touching plastic for extended periods of time.

HOWEVER...... last night I knocked two wine glasses off of the counter, and just 15 minutes ago I broke a pane of glass closing the window. This has got me reconsidering the better bottles.

(And no I wasn't drunk either time.)

That was what got me thinking about converting to glass carboys.

I always carry my carboys in milk crates. If you had milk crates you'd still have your carboy.

It's not the fault of the carboy or gravity that broke it...it was yours. ;)

lol, fair enough! I just know that if it were a BB, I would still have a clearing vessel!

Back