Bottling & Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusionOfTime

Reaction score
So, I went ahead and bottled my first beer, and will probably do the same for my second, but going forward, I have acquired some cornies, and will be kegging as much as possible.

Having said that, I'd like to also keep a 6-pack from everything that we brew and just start saving them for periods of time to revisit them later for comparison purposes and such.

Given that I seem to be somewhat patient, my plan will be, of course depending on the beer and clarification needs, keep in primary for about two weeks, create a priming solution and add to keg, rack from primary into keg and let it sit for a few weeks (3 I suppose is the standard using the 1-2-3 method I've read on this forum) Plus from everything that I've read here...time is our friend as far as conditioning is concerned.

My first brew went well, primary for 2 weeks and strait to bottle, let sit for 3 weeks and they were great. To actually get to my question...

How much of the priming sugar should be added to the bottles that aren't getting kegged...? I'm going to create the priming solution as I normally would, but I assume I will not be able to divide that equally into 48 parts and then remove the proper amount and divide equally among the bottles...?

For informational purposes, I have been boiling a cup of water, adding 5oz of dextrose, and then let cool. Pour into bottling bucket & rack beer into same. bottle from there.

I suppose that I could just do the same thing, just bottle what I want and then just go from the bottling bucket right to the keg, I just feel like that's an extra step and adds a lot of movement and slightly more risk.

I don't intentionally bottle some but I like to ferment as much beer as I can which is 5.5ish gallons. I'll fill my keg to the top and if I have beer left over, I'll sanitize a couple bottles, add dextrose, and siphon on top. 12oz bottles like about .75 teaspoon of dextrose each. 1.25 tsp is enough for a 22oz bomber.

Why are you priming your kegged beer? Why not just hit it with CO2 off your tank?

Back