Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
This might be a hard question but I soon will attempt a grain/extract batch. Anyway, here is my question. I will be malting 5 lbs of Buckwheat. Yes I will be malting mashing using Amylase the whole bit. Plus 3 lbs of Sorghum and 2 lbs of Brs. How can I figure out the Buckwheat's alcohol contribution? Points I guess the term is. Any help would be much appreciated.:cross:

This might be a hard question but I soon will attempt a grain/extract batch. Anyway, here is my question. I will be malting 5 lbs of Buckwheat. Yes I will be malting mashing using Amylase the whole bit. Plus 3 lbs of Sorghum and 2 lbs of Brs. How can I figure out the Buckwheat's alcohol contribution? Points I guess the term is. Any help would be much appreciated.:cross:

In your case, you can use something like hopville or beersmith or whatever to figure out what the gravity would be from the Sorghum and BRS alone (I'm assuming you are using Sorghum Extract...)

So, lets say you are doing a 5 gallon batch. 3 lbs of Sorghum extract and 2 lbs of BRS, I'm getting 1.033 as the original gravity.

If you brew your batch, take a gravity reading, and you get 1.043, you'd know that you got .010 from the buckwheat malt.

Because of all the variables that are involved with your malting and your mashing process, we can't really predict what the PPG is going to be, so the only way you are going to be able to find out is by doing it.

You could, if you wanted, do a 'test' mash with a smaller amount of your malted buckwheat.

It is very hard to say. Everytime I work with buckwheat, I figure it a little under 20 ppg (that's what kasha is). You have so many factors that its hard to say. Google IBD journals and search buckwheat. Great articles on it. I think IBD is international brewers digest or something like that.

I would really like to see your results. Make sure you post them. :cheers:

Back