Help with Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattsFlyShop

Reaction score
OK, I think I maybe Screwed Up, when I was brewing another APA/IPA we accidentally added the Kit's (4) oz of hops at the beginning of the boil, (2oz) each of Cascade and Northern Brewer... I was supposed to put the Cascade in at the end on my boil, but OOOPS! so, being that I used my Flavoring Hops as bittering, I went ahead and used an additional ounce of Cascade for the 10 minute steep... I plan on a Simcoe dry Hop (1-2)oz... now... what am I in for? is this brew going to be palatable?

I don't quite understand what you're saying. What was the hopping that you actually did? And what was the OG of the beer? It's possible that it may be too bitter, but without really knowing the makeup of the beer it's hard to say.

You just altered the recipie.The beer gods will NOT be happy. You need to make ammends IMMEDIATELY to ensure this brew will not burst into flames upon opening.

Just kidding. You will have a beer with a higher bitterness and less hops flavor. Who knows, you might like it better. That's how recipies are developed. If I were you, after I packaged the present beer, I'd do the same recipie again with the correct hops schedule and compare.

Yooper said:
I don't quite understand what you're saying. What was the hopping that you actually did? And what was the OG of the beer? It's possible that it may be too bitter, but without really knowing the makeup of the beer it's hard to say.

Didn't take a Gravity Reading, it's a Sierra Nevada clone, 6# extract and 2# grain 90 min. Boil

Didn't take a Gravity Reading, it's a Sierra Nevada clone, 6# extract and 2# grain 90 min. Boil

You used 4 ounces of hops at 60 minutes? And then used more hops? If you used 4 ounces of hops at 60 minutes, then the beer will be very very bitter.

It would be much easier to understand if that was clear- which hops and how long they were in there.

Basically, 2 oz Cascade and 2oz Northern for the full boil and 1 oz Cascade for the last 10 min

I guess since you've made it so bitter can you not add some late addition fermentables to balance it with some maltyness?

Boil a high concentration of DME and add it? I dont know cause Ive never done such, but I know I like balanced beers with good hops flavors not bitter beers :)

Can anyone second my idea with experience to back it up?

It's gonna be very bitter. When one has a bit too much of one character, we just mix it with other styles to find a middle ground over the course of a "flight".

So, I did the math and came up with an IBU of 65-70... Can that be right?
Could be. Victory Hop Devil has an IBU of 50 to 65, depending on who you read. I find it quite astringent, others find it wonderful. You made an interesting brew, is all.

Well... I just used 18 oz of 6 different hops on my big 7 gal IPA so I think you'll be just fine....

What was the original gravity (OG) of this beer? If it's a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone I would guess around 1.055? That is going to be super bitter! I make a SN Pale Ale clone (1.050 OG) and it only uses 0.6oz of Magnum bittering hops and another 2.5 oz Cascades in the last 15 minutes of the boil and 1.5oz dry hop and it comes out at 37 ibu's in 5.5 gallons!

SN Pale ale has a bitterness of 37-40 IBUs.

norsk said:
Well... I just used 18 oz of 6 different hops on my big 7 gal IPA so I think you'll be just fine....

Wow, that's impressive!
Ok, thanks for input. I still plan on a Simcoe Dry Hop. This might be one for the annual "Dead Palate Society" Campfire & Tasting

I find 75 IBU's to be quite tasty. It won't be SNPA, but you might be surprised.

Well I racked it into a Secondary and dry hopped it Monday night, I had a sample and it was surprisingly good with the extra Maltiness from added grain and a longer boil, it did have a slight bitterness to the finish, but I kinda dig it...

Back