Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time we brewed was for the NHC barrel brew day at the store. Ran PBW for about 3 hours today through both pumps, plate chiller, BK, et al. Didn't do a through job cleaning that day, can't imagine why.... Some really nasty $hit came out of that plate chiller! Either myself or my wife will be up at some point for some ingredients. I can do all but the Hopslam and I believe the Eisbock. Have to double check the ingredients for the eisbock, but definitly need yeast for that anyway.

The last time we brewed was for the NHC barrel brew day at the store. Ran PBW for about 3 hours today through both pumps, plate chiller, BK, et al. Didn't do a through job cleaning that day, can't imagine why.... Some really nasty $hit came out of that plate chiller! Either myself or my wife will be up at some point for some ingredients. I can do all but the Hopslam and I believe the Eisbock. Have to double check the ingredients for the eisbock, but definitly need yeast for that anyway.

Derek, have you used any of the ECY you picked up a few months ago at the Philly Homebrew Club meeting?

Brewing a 1/2 bbl Rye Saison today, splitting it 3 ways between 3711, 565, and ECY08. If it turns out decent I'll enter it in the Battle of the Homebrew shops competition, I wouldnt mind that barrel although I may stop by Keystone and grab one of those soon anyway.

Yeah, I've used the saison strain (was great) and the scottish on a strong scotch so far. Re using the scottish today or tomorrow on this barleywine. Re using a roaslere cake on the Flemish red today, in order to blend it later on this year with a batch i made in the summer. Heating up strike water on that flemish red now...

You guys with time to brew are jerks! Lol. Just a heads up, I'm also a freelance graphic designer so if anybody local is looking for label designs or club graphics I can help out. My freelancing is mostly the reason I don't have time to brew...

I only brewed one beer today, the 10 gal of Flemish Red. Should be tasty! Knocking out a brew tomorrow morning, then getting a little cycling in. I'm also in the process of finishing up a coffee table I've been working on for the last few weeks. That's mainly the reason I only got one brew in today. Just put the first coat of finish on it, hopefully will have this puppy in the house by next weekend. We'll see.

I'm about to rack a brown porter with rum, raisins, and cinnamon. I'd def like to brew with you guys someitme!

I'm about to rack a brown porter with rum, raisins, and cinnamon. I'd def like to brew with you guys sometime!

Finishing up the cleaning on an American Barleywine. BK is on clean water rinse recirculation, and I'm enjoying a beer. What a nice weekend. Sadly I don't think I'll be brewing again until late feb/early march.

I'm always up for brew partners. Unfortunatly, it's a bit of a PITA to move my rig around.

What are you making it out of? Plans? I will be receiving a MIG welder soon (my father wanted to upgrade his, so I'm buying his old one off of him). Will be nice to be able to do what I want in wood and metal soon! Though that will mean upgrading the service to the garage....

All wood. I have the skills to weld and access to a welder but I wanted to do wood. the stand cost me an extra $300 cause I broke the windshield in my MINI picking up the lumber. Completely my own stupidity. It involved a 2x10 and me slamming the back hatch....

Finishing the stand structure and plumbing the gas manifold today hopefully. Would be nice to mount the pumps and chiller today too....

Well, here she is in all her almost finished glory...

IMG_20130122_171217.jpg

Need to run the electrical for the pumps and figure out why the burners aren't running right. Really pissed me off when I fired them up for a test run.

Gitmoe said:

Need to run the electrical for the pumps and figure out why the burners aren't running right. Really pissed me off when I fired them up for a test run.

Slick!

IMG_20130122_171217.jpg

I don't see the fire extinguisher in the photograph, is it just out of view? :D

Brewfist said:
I don't see the fire extinguisher in the photograph, is it just out of view? :D

I'm at Home Depot right now getting some parts for the rig. Thanks for reminding me to grab an extinguisher... lol.

can you orientate the pumps like that? thought that had with the pump head perpendicular to the ground.

dfess1 said:
can you orientate the pumps like that? thought that had with the pump head perpendicular to the ground.

Yup. Works fine. I ran them both for a while.

sweet. so did you get this puppy fired yet??

I figured out the problem with the burners. I still need to fix two burners, add the whirlpool bulkhead/valve to the boil kettle, and figure out a false bottom for the MLT pot. I can use the cooler MLT I have for now if necessary. I'm really close to actually brewing on this rig...

Hello,

Roxborough / Manayunk Homebrewer. My sons and I have been brewing for several years now, taking up the kitchen for the better part of a Saturday each time we do it! Maybe someday we will move up to a nano system... but for now still firing up the kitchen stove!

Is anyone else in my area excited about the Foodery opening on Ridge Ave.? The selection of crafts (by the bottle) is staggering!

:ban:

Hello,

Roxborough / Manayunk Homebrewer. My sons and I have been brewing for several years now, taking up the kitchen for the better part of a Saturday each time we do it! Maybe someday we will move up to a nano system... but for now still firing up the kitchen stove!

Is anyone else in my area excited about the Foodery opening on Ridge Ave.? The selection of crafts (by the bottle) is staggering!

:ban:

I'll have to check out the Foodery. I live in Norristown so shooting straight down ridge is really close. If you guys ever wanna come hangout and brew hit me up. I'm off Sundays and that will be my brewday starting next week. Been way too long since I've brewed. I work at Keystone Homebrew Supply in Montgomeryville. Maybe I've seen you there...

Went by The Foodery today. Pretty good selection. Got some more Maine Brewing Co beer I was looking for. Their prices are high on some things and good on others. Talked to the boss for a bit about getting some Free Will Brewing Co in there. I do graphic design for Free Will so I'm always spreading the word for them...

I mentioned this in the PA Licening thread I made. SWMBO went up there and brought back a few nice craft beers I hadn't had before.

Just so you know, she also works in Kildares on Main St! ;)

I mentioned this in the PA Licening thread I made. SWMBO went up there and brought back a few nice craft beers I hadn't had before.

Just so you know, she also works in Kildares on Main St! ;)

Can you copy/paste the PA Licensing thread you mentioned? I did a search and came up with a bunch of threads! Thanks!

What is SWMBO?

Speaking of Kildares... if you want to try a place with exceptional craft selections on tap and bottles/cans, go across the alley to Lucky's Last Chance (the old Yunkers). Always interesting and unusual draft choices and a knowledgeable staff! Also heard Pitchers has an extensive draft list! :drunk:

hit Union Jacks on Umbria. If that place is anything like Glenside's location, you're good to go.

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

Funny, when we lived in Roxy, we never went there. Go to the one in glenside all the time now.

Can you copy/paste the PA Licensing thread you mentioned? I did a search and came up with a bunch of threads! Thanks!

What is SWMBO?

Speaking of Kildares... if you want to try a place with exceptional craft selections on tap and bottles/cans, go across the alley to Lucky's Last Chance (the old Yunkers). Always interesting and unusual draft choices and a knowledgeable staff! Also heard Pitchers has an extensive draft list! :drunk:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/pa-licensing-sales-distribution-385969/

Was in Lucky's last night actually. Staff are good too. Have managed to get to know them a bit and they're a nice bunch.

The bar manager in Kildare's organised a tour of Yards for his staff and I was lucky enough to be allowed to join. Tour was given by the President, Tom. Was lucky enough to chat to him for around 30mins at the end of the tour. Definitely worth a visit.

Was in Lucky's last night actually. Staff are good too. Have managed to get to know them a bit and they're a nice bunch.

The bar manager in Kildare's organised a tour of Yards for his staff and I was lucky enough to be allowed to join. Tour was given by the President, Tom. Was lucky enough to chat to him for around 30mins at the end of the tour. Definitely worth a visit.

Weird, I was there as well! Had the Elysian IPA on tap that was not on the menu! Very good!

I am friendly with Doug Mashington @ Yards and had a tour some time ago, great staff!

Went to the Winter Warmer / Chili Cook off event thrown by the Philly Homebrew club today. Great event and some awesome beers. My compliments to the brewers and cooks.

Maybe they've gotten better, but I went to Lucky's soon after they opened and was NOT impressed. The prices were on the high end of normal, and the beer was served in dirty, undersized glasses.

Went to the Winter Warmer / Chili Cook off event thrown by the Philly Homebrew club today. Great event and some awesome beers. My compliments to the brewers and cooks.

Nice! We've been in Hawaii since the 8th. Not looking forward to coming home on monday!

dfess1 said:
Nice! We've been in Hawaii since the 8th. Not looking forward to coming home on monday!

Thats rad. Hope you guys are having fun. My wife and I are in phoenix. We just landed. It's Beer Week here. We're gonna hit some events starting tomorrow.

I was knocking about Rittenhouse Sq so I popped in Home Sweet Homebrew for a few bits and bobs. Had a really nice chat. They are good people.

The beer scene here in this phoenix is better than I originally thought after my last trip here in December. Still nothing like Philly, but solid... tried a LOT of local brews.

Back