What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today: kegging 5gal mild, brewing 5gal 90min IPA clone, making starter and grinding grains for Saison d'Ete, taking hydro samples of Robust Porter, American Kolsch, and American Blonde, washing wlp002 cake.

Started brewing at 6:20am, made an Amber Ale batch, all grain, BIAB. Hit my efficiency, but the OG seems a little low as I may have needed to boil a little longer. It'll be fine in any case.

I replaced the braid-filter in my mlt. The first one lasted over 60 batches! It was finally crushed too much from stirring the mash.

checked the gravity of my english barleywine that's been in primary since april 29th
1.019, down from 1.117 (1728 chugged all the way down to 13.1% abv :ban: :tank: :ban:)
guess i need to get the 3g carboy so i can start my 3 month secondary

taste sample was DELICIOUS, even before i eventually dry hop it

Bottling a batch of Maibock today, and brewed an American Brown Ale yesterday...And as far as that goes, all of my days off were spent working on my HERMS unit, so I did something for beer EVERY day this week, lol!!

Dry hopped my ipa. Started looking at commercial property to see how feasible going commercial is.

Poured the first bottle of my first IPA. Holy S**t. Smells sooo good. Floral, piney, sweet caramels. Still a little under carbed (only 6 days in the bottle) but has nice sticky lace. Taste is bitter and soapy, with some citrus too which is not noticeable in the nose. I cant believe I just brewed this. So good.

IMAG0698.jpg

davekippen said:
Poured the first bottle of my first IPA. Holy S**t. Smells sooo good. Floral, piney, sweet caramels. Still a little under carbed (only 6 days in the bottle) but has nice sticky lace. Taste is bitter and soapy, with some citrus too which is not noticeable in the nose. I cant believe I just brewed this. So good.

Recipe? Looks/sounds good!

Recipe? Looks/sounds good!

First Try IPA (Extract plus grains)

8 oz German munich,
8 oz American 60 actual
8 oz German cara-munich
3# Extra light dme
5# Light lme
6 oz Malto dextrine
2 oz Centennial
1 oz East Kent Goldings
2 oz cascade

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Steep grains, 150 degrees for 30 minutes

60 minute boil

@ boil add:
3# DME
1 oz centennial @9.5%

@ 30 minutes add:
1/2 ounce east kent goldings
1/2 oz centennial

@ 12 minutes add:
Malto Dextrine
5# LME
1/2 ounce east kent goldings
1/2 oz centennial

@ Flame out add:
1 oz cascade

ferment Nottingham Ale Yeast. 2 packets, rehydrated

dry hop with 1 ounce of cascade

Plan tonight is to bottle up the Light Wheat beer I made but don't care for and give them to a friend. Then replace that keg with a keg of IPA!

Oh, and drink 2 beers. I forgot to drink one last night...

I just ordered everything I need to add a second keg to my fridge. It should all be here in time to keg the IPA I brewed this weekend. Though, I suspect my keg of wheat/rye ale is going to kick before the IPA is ready.

It's Philly Beer Week! I plan to do something with my beer every day this week. Yesterday: finished up a stir plate build, made a yeast started for a BDSA that I'll brew later this week, bottled some beer, and harvested the yeast for said starter.
Today: finished a mash paddle for the big brew coming up later this week.

The pipeline is a bit dry on the drinking end, but I'm making up for it. There are two batches in fermenters that I'll bottle in the coming weeks. The Pils' spot will be taken by the BDSA on Thursday or Friday. After the Arrogant Bastard clone is done, I'll probably move on to Yooper's DFH 60. Then I'll have beer again!

Last night: Raked my heffe (yes I know, no real need to rack, but there is a massive cake there I want to wash and use this weekend).. Trained some bines..

Tonight will be getting a starter going for the dunkelwiezen..

Last night I bottled 3 gals of barley wine and 5 gal of a club brew (kolsch base recipe) that I hit with 3522 and some brett.. a la Orval.

Today I am brewing a cascade heavy pale:mug:

I stayed up until 1am finishing my first batch, a full boil extract ipa. I brewed outside in my 40qt pot and my girlfriend who was supposed to find something big enough to use for an ice bath went to bed. I'm embarassed to even say some of the noobish, inefficent, macgyver, microbe exposing methods I took, but it was after midnight and I had an early rise. Somehow I got it cooled, hit my gravity dead on, and pitched the yeast(likely at too high a temp) which was bubbling away this morning in my fermentation chamber.

Today, I ordered a wort chiller. I'm naming the aforementioned beer "Wort Chiller IPA".

Kegged a four week-old robust porter (a sort of Black Butte Porter clone I am referring to as "Black Puke Porter" for the voluminous amount of blow off it produced while fermenting); bottled the last half gallon or so of the porter; purchased grains for a 10 gallon batch of BM's Centennial Blonde; and currently washing the yeast from the porter to save for future use while soaking the fermenting bucket in oxy.

I drank a bunch of it today. Getting ready to make a starter for a Hefeweizen I'm going to brew tomorrow night.

I paired it with two dishes it shouldn't have been paired with: Linguini in a cream sauce and then with strawberry shortcake! (Homemade Irish Stout) :mug:

Made a 2L starter for a Hefeweizen that I have planned for the next couple of days. I may do another IPA too.

took a gravity reading for my belgian table beer
wondered why it's been at 1.014 for a week and didn't get down to the estimated 1.010
recalibrated my refractomer (off by about 0.5 brix)
beer's down to 1.009 and i'm not so mad anymore

Transferred a black IPA over and added dry hops (love the smell of ahtanum in the evening) bottled some saison. The girls had fun marking the caps... guess saison= doodles on the caps (usually try to keep it a little more standardized, but these are getting labels anyhow and it kept them busy for awhile)

Saisonbottles.jpg

took a gravity reading for my belgian table beer
wondered why it's been at 1.014 for a week and didn't get down to the estimated 1.010
recalibrated my refractomer (off by about 0.5 brix)
beer's down to 1.009 and i'm not so mad anymore

You will ALWAYS get an inaccurate reading from a refractometer with alcohol present in the mixture.

Just finished a batch of Hefeweizen. Now I REALLY want an immersion chiller. It took forever to chill the wort in an ice bath.

Where to begin....... Bottled my ginger beer, washed said yeast from batch. Weighed grains for a Racer 5 IPA that I will make tomorrow. Made a starter yeast batch for said beer. Added a sliding rail system for my corona mill out of a full extension guide from the Home Depot. And to top it off a custom handle for the tap I made out of old growth mahogany.

ForumRunner_20120607_200254.jpg

ForumRunner_20120607_200315.jpg

ForumRunner_20120607_200342.jpg

Cleaned bottles for 3 batches of beer im going to bottle on saturday and also prepared a yeast starter for this weekend.

Well not today, but last night...volunteered for a BA event on Capitol Hill, met and poured beers for Charlie Papazian and Sam Calagione along with the heads of many other craft breweries.

dcHokie said:
Well not today, but last night...volunteered for a BA event on Capitol Hill, met and poured beers for Charlie Papazian and Sam Calagione along with the heads of many other craft breweries.

Savor Week rules, doesn't it?

Kicked a keg of American wheat, cleaned one set of lines and faucet and put a Jamil's Evil Twin clone on the spare tap.

Ordered ingredients for three more beer brews and two cider batches. These should be a split between late summer and early autumn drinking.

Latest posts

Back