Turkey Breast - Skin/Skinless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezy

Reaction score
Any of you guys smoked the boneless skinless turkey breasts? Most I've seen are "enhanced" so I guess that's why they don't dry out during the smoke with up to 15% salt water added?

I'm buying a lot of local deli sliced turkey; trying to save money smoking my own but want to keep things as low fat as possible without sacrificing moisture.

I wrap my deli meats in banana leaves which will really keep it moist -- and incredibly cheap too without adding calories or more salt. You can find them at most Asian grocery stores. Depending how much smoke flavor you want, cut the bananna leaves half-way through for a smokey finish.

I haven't smoked the boneless skinless ones, so far I have been sticking to the skin on, bone in breasts. If you can find them without the added brine, get those and do your own injections. I often add a mixture of jalapeno juice (from a jar of pickled jalapenos), mustard, and a bit of whatever rub I use on the turkey skin. Makes for excellent sandwiches.

I smoke multiple breasts at a time, and then vaccuum seal them. I don't know if it saves me any money, but that's not why I took up brewing and smoking :)

Back