Lifespan of JAOM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicvalley

Reaction score
is there one?

i just bottled my first JAOM with good #9 corks. What is the expected lifespan before it "goes bad"?

it seems like JAOM is more of a "disposable" recipe. Or does it not go bad and will only get better with age...?

Well there's no time frame as such.

Lower alcohol drinks can go off, but its usually accepted that over 12% is enough for the alcohol to have preservative effects. Plus you've got the honey element and honey is well known for its anti-bacterial/fungal properties.

So its probable that it will continue to improve, but I've read that only happens for 7 or 8 years.........

Well there's no time frame as such.

Lower alcohol drinks can go off, but its usually accepted that over 12% is enough for the alcohol to have preservative effects. Plus you've got the honey element and honey is well known for its anti-bacterial/fungal properties.

So its probable that it will continue to improve, but I've read that only happens for 7 or 8 years.........

And who can let there meads age longer than that? :D

I had a batch of JAO that lasted 4 years, it was still very good at that age, not the same as it was at 1 year, but some changes are expected when you age. I don't know if I would say it was "Better" but I definitely would not say that it was "Worse" it was still good and very drinkable.
Storage I think is the key, stored well, it will do better than stored poorly.

SpamDog

I had a batch of JAO that lasted 4 years, it was still very good at that age, not the same as it was at 1 year, but some changes are expected when you age. I don't know if I would say it was "Better" but I definitely would not say that it was "Worse" it was still good and very drinkable.
Storage I think is the key, stored well, it will do better than stored poorly.

SpamDog
Well I understand that if possible, ageing should be carried out using the "French model" i.e. in the dark, at the lower 50's F...... for the best possible longevity

Back