Don't have Kcl for ph electrode storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got my ph meter Milwaukee MW101 on Friday. I ordered the Kcl storage solution but it won't be here till Monday afternoon. I plan on brewing Monday morning and using my meter. What can I temporarily (< 8hrs) store my electrode in. I do have the 7 & 4 buffers. Should I just store in 4 buffer until my Kcl storage solution shows up?

Thanks in advance

Did the probe come prefilled with electrolyte or was an electrolyte solution provided?

The electrolyte is usually 3M KCl, so you can store the tip of the probe in that.

The calibration standards you have will be okay for a short period time (use the pH7). At the very least it's better than straight water.

For a few hours you could store it in most anything including tap water. One of the buffers should be fine. Or you could get some potassium chloride (low sodium salt) from the supermarket and add some of that to tap water. There's other stuff in there too but it won't hurt the electrode.

Back