Roasted Barley - blurg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancidcrabtree

Reaction score
How much is too much?? I made an Irish Red with about 2oz. and it was one of my favorite beers ever. Then I made two more batches (one was a PM, the other was all-grain), and I'm doing the best I can not to dump them out. They both have a sickening nutty flavor that comes through at the end of each sip and lingers, it even overpowers the hops! I'm not sure exactly how much I used in the last two batches, I didn't really think about it, just tossed a handful or so into the mashes. So my question is:

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with too much roasted barley, and does what I've described sound like it could be a problem with using too much?

Perhaps time will mellow the flavor? Put it away out of sight and mind to sample every month or so.

I will do that, I really can't stand the idea of dumping my product down the drain! At the same time I hate to have bottles sitting around that I can't use...

Back