Yep - Dry Hopping for 5 Weeks is Too Long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmorebrew

Reaction score
I'm gonna blame this one on the new baby :eek:

Been pretty busy and haven't had the proper time to devote the last couple of months so this beer had a real steep hill to climb. It was a Raging *****-ish type beer and my wife went into labor on day two of fermentation. Four days later when we came home from the hospital, the temperature of the fermenter was 85°. No big deal I thought, just let it condition a little longer, we'll see what we get. Then I dry hopped it. And kinda forgot/neglected it/didn't have time/etc. Five weeks later I bottled. I just tried one and it tastes like a compost pile of lawn clippings.

I don't know if time can fix this one - I guess we'll see what it tastes like around Christmas.
:mug:

A few years ago I dry hopped an Irish ale with 1 oz of Goldings by throwing a hop bag with pellets into a keg. I left it there the life of the keg, maybe 3 months. It was amazing to taste the evolution of the hop flavor over that time frame, and it was never bad at all. My BMC drinkers loved it after the peak flavor dwindled, about week 4.

I have found that 10 to 14 days is ideal for my tastes. Beyond 14 days I find it too grassy - had a 4 week dry hop of cascade that was just way too vegetal for my likes and overwhelmed the beer.

Congrats on the baby! We just had our 3rd about 2 weeks ago.

I brewed my last batch about 3 days after we came home :mug:

Maybe ask your wife to plan her next birth out a little better. You know, give you a head's up a little earlier about the labor thing. I'm sure she'll understand.

:)

Maybe ask your wife to plan her next birth out a little better. You know, give you a head's up a little earlier about the labor thing. I'm sure she'll understand.

Next time maybe we'll pick a hospital closer to the house :)
Or one that will allow me to bring my fermenters with me.

Sir, is that a bucket in your stroller?

I dry hopped a nugget nectar clone and ended up getting busy with other things. dry hopped for about 3 months and was worried of the "grassy" flavors I hear about. However, beer turned out better then excellent. Its on tap now with another keg chilling in my freezer for when the first is kicked.
Tom

I left one for 4 months once (not deliberate), Amarillo pellets, tasted great.

I'm still looking for this grassy flavor people keep saying they get from extended dry hopping. I usually go 10 to 14 days.

Back