Emergency chiller help, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
In just over an hour I will be using my new chiller for the first time. Should I chill my partial boil in the pot, or pour it into the cold water in the primary bucket first? It's just as easy for me either way, but I can think of arguments to support both methods. What gives me the best cold break?

Chill it in the pot first- the cold break will be obvious. You want to cool it quickly and it will cool quickly with the wort chiller. And then strain into the fermenter and top off with the cool water, to get the right amount in your primary as well as add oxygen to the wort.

just used my chiller for the first time and it was sweet! Hope yours works just as well.

the faster you chill the wort, the more cold break you precipitate. it will turn into a ball of muck, and you can aim around it.

beer005-1.jpg

That was amazing! It worked so well. It cooled the wort in about five minutes. I didn't even have time to open the backup beer.

So some Rat's Tail Pale Ale is fermenting for the summer. Heh.

hey fingers
sure glad your happy, but... did you boil your chiller with the wort for at least 20 min. prior to using it? That will kill any nasties that may want to cling and transfer.

Back