I'm old and crabby and will NOT read textspeak!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That's right- I admit it. I find it very hard to read your Facebook posts that say "I C RU sure?" So, I'm not going to do it anymore. That's right! If I have to try to figure it out, I'm not going to bother.

I speak English and only English. If your keyboard is too small to type on, that's too bad! If you simply write like that because you're a person who doesn't care enough for my old eyes, then I will NOT answer.

Even here in this forum, if I see a single "how do u make beer" question, I will not answer. If you don't have enough time to type that "yo" before the "u", then why the heck should I type out a comprehensive answer? Oh, and the lack of punctuation! I guess that it's hard to use periods while texting. Well, I can't read a wall of text that doesn't capitalize the pronoun "I" nor uses periods.

I have a relative that will send a note: i am hoping to come and c u over the holidys if i can get a flight 2 u when i can ru ok 4 that

Um, he's 40. And he has three computers, so it's not like he's struggling on a blackberry.

No more. I'm on strike against textspeak. Are you with me? If you are, say, "no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8". :D

Is ofishal, u is grandma :mug:
getoffmylawnunbrand.jpg

I don't mind the "R U," the "U," the "yr" or some of the other abbreviations, but some of the stuff drives me batsh!t craxy.

"wel" for well

"frm" for from

for starters.

no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8

Had to copy and paste it. ;)
It would have been easier just to type, "No text speak for me! I see you are great!"

no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8! :mug::mug:

I'm only 22 and pretty knowledgeable with computer usage, but I'm still not 100% sure what that's suppose to mean...maybe it's just the beer blocking out my weaker brain cells so I don't know what it's suppose to mean...

Actual texts from a friend of mine - he's pushing 40:

Any words yet that would drive us 2 have 2 resched things 2mrw?!?

Wots ur final decision n plan??

Can 1 of u send me a msg that u made it bak?!? Thanx!

That's right, he'll type "decision" yet abbreviate "what's." He'll take the time to type several question/exclamation marks but skips consonants at seemingly random places. I think he just texts that way because he thinks it's cool. I find his efforts mildly entertaining.

But...I'm with Yooper. Get off my lawn.

Bt Yoop, txt spk is so cl. U jst do it by lvng out mst vwls rt? (not sure that was correctly done...)

I buy phones with full key boards and turn on auto-capitalise just in case I miss an 'I' by accident. Even with my on screen keyboard I have to do things right... and I'm 27, so don't feel so old!

I am with you to. If I text someone I spell it all out. Had to copy and paste also no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8

"no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8". :D

OMGWTFBBQSAUZ!!!!1!!one

But seriously, I have never been into typing it, even "r", "c", "u" etc.

:mug: You know what, Yoop? I'm with ya on this one.

I'm old and crabby and have spent too many damned years in the tech industry. I was "chatting" on IRC, messaging on Compuserve, when Mark Zuckerberg was still getting stuffed into lockers and wondering what planet girls came from.

I love technology, but it has bred a culture of lazy, apathetic uber dorks who don't seem to grasp the concept that communication still relies on being able to understand one another's language.

Cheers!

Agreed! I can't stand reading that crap. I literally have to slow down and translate broken English into legible English. It takes 3 times longer to read it. It's almost like taking English, and kicking it in the nuts.

After taking 3 technical writing courses, it's all I can do not to take a red pen my laptop. I’m all for a casual forum, but come on!

Here's the rule. If you have access to a full keyboard, use it. You can use text speak only if you're somehow accessing homebrewtalk.com via a t9 phone.

<END RANT>

hmm why would you want to use textspeak from a T9 phone, unless......it shows you up for the really bad spelling that you have. I know so many people who say they can't use predictive text and I am convinced it's just because they can't spell properly.

I'm a touch typist and to be honest it's easier to type out the whole words than to work out this new idiot language that as others have already said actually hurts the brain.

My friends and family know not to text me with that crap, cos I shoot back texts asking wtf they are on about.
A few abbreviations are fine, but this idea of dropping vowels from every word is just annoting crap.

no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8

****, I'm 23 and wont read that garbage. I had a gorgeous classmate that was a model but I refrained from having any sort of relations with her because she always left the H's off of "what" and nonsense like that. After my last relationship failed I regret making the decision to refrain :drunk:

She also "doesn't like beer" so there's that...

This could be your new avatar.

angry_old_lady_with_cane.jpg

That is, if I didn't agree with you. Somehow I manage to write clomplete sentences using my smartphone keyboard. The may be poorly. Spelled and have the odd punctuation in the wrong place. But they still manage to be legible.

"no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8":mug:

I read a story in the internet (so it must be true :D) about how people can get confused about what acronyms mean. There was a story where a woman in her 30's had a friend who lost her father. So she sent her a text message "sorry to hear about your loss LOL" she thought LOL was lots of love

"no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8" :mug:

I don't--and never will--have a Facebook account. Hell, I don't even carry a cell phone. Never have I sent a text or a tweet. (Same thing?) And now my favorite moment at parties is when I look around and see the lion's share of attendees face down staring at their phones. Raise the roof y'all! :drunk:

****, I'm 23 and wont read that garbage. I had a gorgeous classmate that was a model but I refrained from having any sort of relations with her because she always left the H's off of "what" and nonsense like that. After my last relationship failed I regret making the decision to refrain :drunk:

She also "doesn't like beer" so there's that...

Yeah... I'm sure this is the only reason why you couldn't have any sort of relations with her.........:cross:

Back