Whos studying their nuts off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
EMT final tomorrow. Awesomeness.

Final assesments were yesterday. I did pretty well though I was pretty disappointed that it was all medical stuff. Absolutely zero trauma. WTF?

I wouldnt usually be stressed about this, as I know I'll pass but up until I got an 80% on a test last week I had the highest grade in class.

Now I'm being beat by a lady who was already an EMT but let her certification go due to family issues. Shes beating me by like .3%

I'm usually not a competitive ******* like this, but its a grade in a field that I want to work in and one that can actually affect peoples lifes, so I wanna be the best in there. Plus it really helps that our instructor is the guy who does the hiring for our county EMS system. An awesome grade could only help get a job.

So anyone else stressing?

I thoroughly look forward to enjoying a IIPA tomorrow evening after finals.

Just got my grades today, straight A's for the second semester in a row! I got the only A in my Anatomy and Physiology class... yeah... I'm cool.

I will be soon. I just decided that I am going back to school. God, I hate studying.

Just got my grades today, straight A's for the second semester in a row! I got the only A in my Anatomy and Physiology class... yeah... I'm cool.

Hey thats awesome.

Major congratulations to you!

Get tipsy, drunk, plowed...whatever, I think you've earned it

:mug: Cheers to you

I will be soon. I just decided that I am going back to school. God, I hate studying.

I hear ya.

It was much easier before the days of cell phones, facebook etc.
Also much easier before I had a child :cross:

I cant believe back when I was in high school I thought it was hard to study. What? Peace and quiet?

Final assesments were yesterday. I did pretty well though I was pretty disappointed that it was all medical stuff. Absolutely zero trauma. WTF?

I wouldnt usually be stressed about this, as I know I'll pass but up until I got an 80% on a test last week I had the highest grade in class.

Now I'm being beat by a lady who was already an EMT but let her certification go due to family issues. Shes beating me by like .3%

I'm usually not a competitive ******* like this, but its a grade in a field that I want to work in and one that can actually affect peoples lifes, so I wanna be the best in there. Plus it really helps that our instructor is the guy who does the hiring for our county EMS system. An awesome grade could only help get a job.

So anyone else stressing?

I thoroughly look forward to enjoying a IIPA tomorrow evening after finals.

Congrats on your choice of studies! It's great to hear that you're determined be at the top of your class. Most "over achievers" do indeed get hired on with EMS/FDs. I was always asked,"would you want a medic working on your loved ones if he/she scored a 60-80% in school ?" The easy answer is NO. Those who put thier time into the studying the materials are better prepared for a career in the field.

Best of luck to you! Look up my company when it's time to buy a jump bag :)

Great news and good luck. I'm not very competitive, but I cherish the time I scored 5th in a fleet-wide exam and the smart-ass chief petty officer didn't make the top 100. I was 2 months out of SOSUS school. He had 16 years of experience. The 1st class in my watch section scored #3. Double whammy.

I'm on my second (or third?) beer and writing essays for job applications. Am I the only one who does better work with a beer in hand? Gets the juices flowing. My brain just works better that way. Although I had something else during my college years that worked much better.

Studying and drinking my way through the 3rd semester of Paramedic school. Hardest of the 4 semesters (mega codes and what nots) and the fact its in the summer so we get 10weeks instead of 16.

I have a TSSA exam for my Gas Tech 3 on Friday. Taking some time off from studying to have a pint and watch the Bruins.

Finished top in my class of 44, and trying to decide of I want to go further in debt and do the Gas Tech 2 right away.

I'm getting ready to start studying for the CPA exam again. I stupidly started during tax season and just got too busy and tired to keep it up, then I moved. I'm still getting settled in but hopefully I can get started and ready in time to take the first section in July.

Good luck with your studies man, I feel ya.

The one benefit of getting older... my education days are LONG behind me. It's been over 10 years since my last final back when I did my MS degree. Ah, the joy of already knowing everything!! :rockin:

My last exam of the semester is tomorrow. Then I get to start summer classes on the 25th...whoohooo...

Right now I'm a might bit peeved though, I just got my final grade in from my statics class and my final grade was a B. I've done nothing worse than A-/B+ work all semester (I even aced-100%- one exam where everyone else was getting <80%,) so it must have been my final. I emailed the professor asking to take a look at it, so hopefully that will happen tomorrow- I know it seems petty chasing down a prof for a better grade, but I've seen many grading discrepancies from him already this semester, and I need better than a 3.3/4.0 to get into a grad program I'm applying for next fall, so a B (3.0) just doesn't do it for me.

I just hope tomorrow's exam goes well....

jdecarol said:
Studying and drinking my way through the 3rd semester of Paramedic school. Hardest of the 4 semesters (mega codes and what nots) and the fact its in the summer so we get 10weeks instead of 16.

Congrats you two. :mug: If you've had any time on the ambulance thus far I'm sure you know its worth it. I spent three years working as an EMT-I during undergrad and loved every minute of it.

I decided to step it up a notch and I'm finishing my second year of medical school. Just four weeks (yes, just four weeks) until our first Board Exam, so I'm in the library 13-15 hrs/day:( and I don't have time to brew until its done:mad:. I'll definitely be working in the Emergency Room when its all over though. So maybe I'll see y'all on the truck one day.

Right now I'm a might bit peeved though, I just got my final grade in from my statics class and my final grade was a B. I've done nothing worse than A-/B+ work all semester (I even aced-100%- one exam where everyone else was getting <80%,) so it must have been my final. I emailed the professor asking to take a look at it, so hopefully that will happen tomorrow-

I've had that happen before too. The profession was the nicest Korean lady ever, but her English was a bit shaky. I went to talk to her and once I explained my answers she bumped up my final exam to get me an A in the class. I knew that material cold though, so it definitely helped that I could explain the answers several different ways.

DONE! Last final didnt go the greatest but I managed to squeak in with 27/33... that should be enough to get me an A- in the class (I know, don't count your chickens...) so now I just have to wait for this other prof to get back to me.... oh and he better.... :mad:

I'm on the other side of the podium: I give the finals! Of course this year my final for one class lasted from 7am to 6pm. But it was fun!

DONE! Last final didnt go the greatest but I managed to squeak in with 27/33... that should be enough to get me an A- in the class (I know, don't count your chickens...) so now I just have to wait for this other prof to get back to me.... oh and he better.... :mad:

Congrats on being done. That's always the best feeling to turn in the last exam of spring semester. Enjoy your summer.

I had a relatively easy final exam schedule. Only one class was a cumulative final and it was an open book test. Now I start a condensed summer course, four credits crammed into a six-week format.

just had a physics test yesterday, a calc test today, a physics final coming up on monday, an anthro final on tuesday (that class is a joke though, totally not worried about it) and a calc final on thursday. and then a nice month break before summer session.

an anthro final on tuesday (that class is a joke though, totally not worried about it) and a calc final on thursday. and then a nice month break before summer session.

Anthropology was the first class I realized some teachers come to school more baked then the students.

Good news, just found out that since I'm in my 3rd semester of Paramedic I can apply to certain cities for Fire Fire/ Paramedic. Only problem is 90,000 other people are trying to jump in for every hiring run.

Congrats on being done. That's always the best feeling to turn in the last exam of spring semester. Enjoy your summer.

Thanks! I will enjoy summer. I'm taking two courses this summer (Mechanics of Materials and Dynamics) which are taught twice a week, 4 hour sessions (kill me.) But I'll be done by the end of august, in time to enjoy more good beach weather :ban:

Congrats on your choice of studies! It's great to hear that you're determined be at the top of your class. Most "over achievers" do indeed get hired on with EMS/FDs. I was always asked,"would you want a medic working on your loved ones if he/she scored a 60-80% in school ?" The easy answer is NO. Those who put thier time into the studying the materials are better prepared for a career in the field.

Best of luck to you! Look up my company when it's time to buy a jump bag :)

Thanks.

BTW, your Tactical Trauma Molle bag is awesome. I'll defintely be hitting you up! :rockin:

What do you teach? That's worse than our boards.

Computer Science. My research focus is cyber security. My exams are normally in the 2-hour range. But this time, I taught a cyber security course (which included attack techniques) and the final exam was an all-day competition we called the Cyber Storm. Two groups of my students competed by defending their networks while attacking their opponent's. It was a great "hacking" experience. Many of them mentioned that they had more fun that day than at any other time in their entire undergraduate curriculum.

I'm finishing up my comp exams for my Ph.D.. The big reward for finishing them is... a dissertation to write. Good thing I love what I do.

Thanks.

BTW, your Tactical Trauma Molle bag is awesome. I'll defintely be hitting you up! :rockin:

Thanks for the Kudos! let me know when you're ready to order and I'll add a bunch of extra gear at NO cost! Gotta take care of a fellow HBT'er.

Ah the joys of being middle aged. I no longer have to worry about the 40% I got on the p-chem exam or the 65% on the differential equations final or the 50% on the advanced organic chemistry final. The professors all graded on a curve and these grades were often B level or above. I also have the joy of knowing things didn't turn out exactly as I had planned. But everything turned out just fine. There really was no need to sweat the small stuff.

95% on my final.

94% A- Final Grade.

The former EMT and I tied on both grades. I couldnt believe it! I wouldnt have cared if I beat her by a tenth of a precentage point, I just wanted to beat her!

Cool thing is that a bunch of us met up at the local water hole and had a few. Our instructor showed up and bought us a round. When it was time to leave he offered me a ride home (SWMBO had the vehicle), then knowing my love for beer he asked me if I'd been to the local 4 star restaurant across the street.

Beer menu a half a page long. I was blown away. Had Rogues Dead Guy and a Sierra Nevada. I had no clue a place that served craft beer existed in my hometown. SWMBO and I have reservations for tonight :D

Thanks for the Kudos! let me know when you're ready to order and I'll add a bunch of extra gear at NO cost! Gotta take care of a fellow HBT'er.

Hey hey, thats awesome!

It'll probably be a month or so (saving for vacation) but your page is bookmarked!

I'm finishing up my comp exams for my Ph.D.. The big reward for finishing them is... a dissertation to write. Good thing I love what I do.

I remember that experience. I worked for a few months on my dissertation topic and had the idea all planned out. No one had published anything on it. Then I spend 1 month studying for my Ph.D. examinations, took them, and then took 2 weeks to vegetate. When I got back to my research, I found out someone had since published something. So I had to change my topic. Ultimately, it was fine. I started my undergraduate in 2002 and got my Ph.D. in 2007. To be fair, about 1.5 years of classes transferred, but I started graduate school in 2005! I worked my friggin' ass off. Good luck!

Was studying for the BJCP exam. Took that today. I feel like I rocked that thing, but we'll see.

Could not think of a Commercial example for a Dortmunder export... the only thing I was really held up on. I ended up just putting Dortmund export, and low and behold I look at the styles and we'll it's actually close, lol.

What do you study?

I am also working on my PhD but I finished my comps back in November. I'll be on the job market starting this summer. Now I give the exams instead of taking them (which isn't much less stressful).

Anthropology was the first class I realized some teachers come to school more baked then the students.

Good news, just found out that since I'm in my 3rd semester of Paramedic I can apply to certain cities for Fire Fire/ Paramedic. Only problem is 90,000 other people are trying to jump in for every hiring run.
I believe Alachua County is hiring if you want to make move. My room mate is a Rescue Lieutenant with them and I'd be happy to find out for you.

Back