1st keg batch, need a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
I’m not force carbonating and I’m not using priming sugar, my plan is to set the pressure based off desired volume (2.5) and temperature (45f), leave for 2 to 3 weeks then serve. Based on my chart that’s 15psi. Here are my questions:

1) Do I carbonate with the “out” line attached or disconnected?
2) After carbing do I just dial down the pressure to about 5 psi and start drinking

--or--

Do I have to do anything like disconnect the “in” line, purge, set pressure to 5 psi and reconnect?

Thanks for the help

1) Doesn't matter.
2) You should be able to serve at carbing pressure with a balanced system. No need to reduce the pressure to serve...usually.

If you're carbonating the beer, with co2, you're force carbing it. "Naturally" carbonated beer involves adding priming sugar or fermenting wort to carbonate it. Using co2 to carbonate it is force carbing.

…so set pressure, wait 2 to 3 weeks and drink. Thanks for the help.

If you're carbonating the beer, with co2, you're force carbing it. "Naturally" carbonated beer involves adding priming sugar or fermenting wort to carbonate it. Using co2 to carbonate it is force carbing.

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I was under the impression that force carbonating was the method where you put 25 psi to the beer, shake, and repeat with drinkable carbonated beer in 3 days.

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I was under the impression that force carbonating was the method where you put 25 psi to the beer, shake, and repeat with drinkable carbonated beer in 3 days.

Good luck. Kegging is super easy. Many people use the term force carbing to describe what you refer to. But Yoop is absolutely correct...as usual!

I've heard that referred to as "burst carbing" or "burst force carbing", too.

I'm not a keg shaker. Partly because I can wait a bit to drink my beer, but also because I'm not strong enough to shake a full keg anyway! I usually set my regulator at 12 psi, and it's pretty good in two weeks. A couple of times, I set my regulator at 30 psi for 36 hours, then purged and reset it for 12 psi. I had a little trouble with the pressure creeping up, but the beer was pretty well carbed in three days. I really think the "set it and forget it" method of just setting it at serving pressure (in my case 12 psi) is the best way to do it. No overcarbonation or foamy beer, and the beer is cold conditioned and crystal clear when you tap it. I pull out about 3 ounces of yeast sludge, then dump it and pour my first pint. It always works for me!

Uh, just FYI. Yoop is a lady. But I guess that "guys" is a uni-sex term so never mind.;)

Haha. You're welcome.

I guess when I said I was too weak to shake a full keg that you just thought I was a wimp, not a girl, huh? :D

I'm guessing it's the beard in your avatar picture that is throwing him off, lol.

Ron

I'm guessing it's the beard in your avatar picture that is throwing him off, lol.

Ron

You got it, I thought yoop was the old timer in the avatar.

Quick follow up question- My co2 bottle has dropped from about 860psi and seems to be holding at 700psi now. Is this a normal drop in co2 pressure or indicative of a small leak somewhere?

You got it, I thought yoop was the old timer in the avatar.

Quick follow up question- My co2 bottle has dropped from about 860psi and seems to be holding at 700psi now. Is this a normal drop in co2 pressure or indicative of a small leak somewhere?

Those gauges really aren't that dependable. A temperature drop (like putting it in the kegerator) makes it drop. Usually, it'll stay stable until there is almost no gas at all in the tank, and drop to 0 immediately. It's because the co2 is liquid, but comes out as a gas, I guess.

Sounds like you nailed, the co2 bottle was room temp before putting it into the kegerator. Thanks yoop

Back