Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't taste quite as sweet as I thought it would, and there was definitely a bite from the cocoa, but overall not too bad. Definitely better than some other wort I've tasted. :mug:

Mine was just a bitter bomb when it went into the fermenter on brewday. That blended with the other flavors nicely as it went along and was quite tasty at bottling time.

I haven't had any airlock activity yet ( I know, I know, take a reading). Did you notice this one fermented slower? I'm using WLP001 yeast instead of the S-04 or S-05, so that could be something too.

I didn't have any problems with fermentation, but I don't bother checking until after a week or more. With my pail, I never get airlock activity.

I'm going to wait a week and check the grav, then repitch if it hasn't done anything. Thanks for the feedback!

Glad to hear it got off it's ass and started workin'!

JMSetzler: Looking forward to hear how it translates from PM to AG, since I translated the base of the recipe from AG to PM :D Hopefully better than Backstroke of the West!

I don't know if I have posted my AG recipe to this thread or not, but I will after I have taste tested... which will be quite a while :)

I made this over the weekend (all grain recipe) and I have a couple of questions. How much cocoa powder should/can I add to the secondary and do I for sure split the vanilla beans?
My primary took off as I used a Yyeast 1056 x 2, I plan on racking after 7-10 days as we let a bit of grain get through our mesh. I have SG and will post that when I get back from looking at it......also, with this stout do I still use corn sugar @ bottling for carbonation.
Thanks

OG - 1.050 I may need to add some water to the secondary?

You definitely want to split the bean. The flavor is inside it, so if you don't split it it won't do you any good.

The cocoa powder goes in the boil. I use 9oz in this recipe. If you didn't get it in the boil, I don't know if I'd put cocoa powder in the secondary. At that point, I'd probably try cocoa nibs, or just use chocolate extract at bottling, though it won't quite be the same.

I'm gonna bottle mine next weekend. It will have been in secondary for 4 weeks at that time (after being in primary for a week). I used two vanilla beans, split, and soaked in a little vodka. I dumped that into the secondary at the two week mark, so it will have been in there for two weeks when I bottle. I'll bottle condition this beer for a bare minimum of 6 weeks and probably 8 before I even taste one. After that initial tasting, I probably won't touch it again for at least 4 more weeks. I plan to put back at least 4 16oz bottles of this beer for a year as well...

Here's my version of the recipe (all-grain):

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: John Setzler
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 33.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.70 %
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.85 %
1.00 oz Glacier [5.90 %] (60 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.90 %] (30 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.10 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
6.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: JMS Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.50 lb
----------------------------
JMS Single Infusion, Upper Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 172.6 F 156.0 F

JM- That's so different from mine, that all I'll ever claim on it might be "inspiration". heheh

Mine really didn't need much time in the bottle before it was very, very drinkable.

Yuh... I did a little research on some variations in the oatmeal stout recipes and came up with this. I'm excited about tasting it when the time is right :)

I went ahead and bottled mine tonight. That stuff smelled fantastic going into the bottles. It had a wonderful roasted coffee/chocolate aroma. I can't wait to taste it. I'm gonna try to make myself wait until the first of December to crack one open...

I'm racking mine from primary to secondary this weekend, left it in primary for 3 weeks just to let it settle out a bit more. Probably going to put two vanilla beans in secondary and let it go for two weeks there, then bottle.

You definitely want to split the bean. The flavor is inside it, so if you don't split it it won't do you any good.

The cocoa powder goes in the boil. I use 9oz in this recipe. If you didn't get it in the boil, I don't know if I'd put cocoa powder in the secondary. At that point, I'd probably try cocoa nibs, or just use chocolate extract at bottling, though it won't quite be the same.

Moved to secondary tonight, put vanilla bean in topped off with a little filtered water. FG was @ 1.020.

Last question.....I hope....did you use corn sugar for bottling?

I just racked mine onto two vanilla beans tonight after 3 weeks in primary. Ended up at 1.020. Should be tasty, although it was a very strong bitter cocoa flavor going into the carboy.

I just racked mine onto two vanilla beans tonight after 3 weeks in primary. Ended up at 1.020. Should be tasty, although it was a very strong bitter cocoa flavor going into the carboy.

Sounds like it's right where it should be. That flavor was what got me to add the vanilla bean in the secondary. It was just right to take the sharp edge off the bitter cocoa without covering it up at all.

I'm drinking mine now after aging in the bottle for a few weeks... Pretty darn good... Thanks ChshreCat!

Okay I really want to try this bad boy out because it looks awesome but I have a couple of questions so I don't F it up. :D This will be my first stout in over 5 years.

It looks like you mashed the specialty grain @ 150 for 1 hr. I just want to make sure.

Also those fuggles are going in right away after the hot break at the start of the boil and that is the only hops being added right?

Also starter or not to starter on this beast? Thanks for the post. I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Yep. Mashed at 150 for an hour. The only hops are the 2oz of Fuggles right at the start of the 60 min boil.

I used a dry yeast, so no starter is necessary. I just hydrated the yeast in a little warm bottled water and pitched. Starters are for liquid yeast only. If you're worried about cell count you can pitch two packs of dry yeast, but I don't with this recipe so it could change the ester profile of it if you do.

Awesome! Thanks again for the recipe. I'll stick with your original the first time around so I have a starting point for customizing it. Sounds yummy.

I'll post up some pics of my brew after the weekend.

Hell, you are close enough. I can send you a bottle when I'm done so you can try mine out. Only seems fair. :)

I christened my home made MLT with this recipe and also got my feet wet with my first Partial mash.

Its been in the Primary for almost a week now, I cannot wait till mid December to try one of these.

I manged to get a OG of 1.086 though, so who knows where the FG will end up.

Thanks for the Inspiration! Now to begin the hunt for a Vanilla bean and go buy some vodka...

Josiah: We need to start a north sound brew club so we can all get together and swap brews.

CrazyJames: Did you do a partial boil? You might have just not gotten things mixed up and pulled a heavy sample from the bottom of the fermenter. No worries either way. No real need for the vodka though. Just spray the bean with starsan, split and scrape it and toss it in the secondary.

North sound brew club indeed! :) That would just about make my day.

I got all the ingredients for this brew last night and I'll be rocking it's socks off this weekend for sure. I'm also starting my first Apfelwein batch tonight. It's gonna be a good weekend.

I'm in the process of getting all the gear I need at my place so I can brew more often. Right now I am sharing gear with a good friend of mine and I am limited in production. I just got this bad boy.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=30717239&id=1400814600

Now I just need to get a brewing schedule down. :)

How often and where do you think we should meet? I'm sure we could get a decent amount of people interested.

I thought somewhere around Mt Vernon/burlington would be good. Then we could get folks from around Arlingtion and up to the border involved. Hell, might even be a few folks from around Vancouver that might come down. Plus, it's easy for the Island folks to meet up there. Shame there's no LHBS there though.

All right, I was delayed in brewing this due to my buddies wedding and my fermentation cabinet build but it's finally going into the kettle tonight. I'll post pics this weekend.

Grrr, I forgot my download cord so no pics yet but.....
Brew day was a success. I did end up changing one thing but I hit the OG at 1.072. Great fermentation on Saturday and by Sunday evening airlock activity had stopped. :rockin:
The ferm was fast and steady on this batch. I thought it would have lasted longer but I'll be taking a reading at one week to find out where it is at. I did end up using liquid yeast on this, Wyeast British 1098.
3 weeks in primary - Dear Lord patience be with me.
How long did you Secondary this for?

Secondary was a week to give it time to pick up a little bit from the vanilla bean. Tempers the bitter from the chocolate just a hair.

So I'm hoping mine is conditioned enough by new years.
Brewed on 10/23
It will finish seconday on 11/20.
That will leave 1 moth for bottle conditioning. I'd like a little bit more time but I think that they might be drinkable by then. :)

I cracked my first one at 3 weeks, IIRC. It was a little warm on the alcohol, but was very drinkable. After another 2 weeks, the hot alcohol flavor was gone.

I plan on bottling mine this weekend. Time has gotten away from me, and I've left it for a while in the carboy. I'll keep you posted!

Back