locating a "fill while you wait" propane, CO2? (NC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
Help!
I'd like to find some fill-while-you wait for my CO2 and Propane, to save a bit, but am not having any luck. I'm west of Chapel Hill, and I know so far of only one place that will fill CO2, which is in Raleigh (40 miles one way).

Anyone know of a durham or chapel hill location that will fill propane? CO2?

For CO2 try a fire extinguisher place.

In fact, here ya go:

Metro Fire & Safety, Inc.
130 Wolfpack Lane
Durham, NC 27704

Their website says:

Carbon Dioxide
Refill and hydrostatic testing.

* Fire Extinguishers

* Beverage Cylinders

* Pressure Tanks

* Large CO2 Cylinders

For CO2 try a fire extinguisher place.

In fact, here ya go:

Metro Fire & Safety, Inc.
130 Wolfpack Lane
Durham, NC 27704

Their website says:

Carbon Dioxide
Refill and hydrostatic testing.

* Fire Extinguishers

* Beverage Cylinders

* Pressure Tanks

* Large CO2 Cylinders

I've been to this place a few times, they're real quick and have decent prices. Just call first, sometimes the guy who does the filling is out.

Wow, now that is great! CO2 at a pretty convenient spot! I work in City Hall, so that's not bad.
Thanks a lot!

Now I just need to hunt down propane and I'll be set.

propane in Durham, NC - YellowBot
this isn't for sure, but I'll try calling the list during business hours if I get time tomorrow. If I can find a fill station, I would switch to those translucent tanks and be happy to dump the blue rhino cheat stations.

I get my tanks filled at Ace Hardware, I know BJ's re-fills, I think Sam's Club does too.

If you're ever near the creedmoor/franklinton area there is a small mom and pop gas station at the intersection of 56 and Conyers road that will do it right when you ask. Gooch's gas station.

Wow, now that is great! CO2 at a pretty convenient spot! I work in City Hall, so that's not bad.
Thanks a lot!

Now I just need to hunt down propane and I'll be set.

I don't know about Durham, but there are at least 2 propane filling spots in Chapel Hill, Southern States on Greensboro Street, and another place, I don't know the name, also on Greensboro Street, just off of the 54 bypass.

I know the Southern States and go by there on occasion. That might be just what I needed!

Thanks!

I'm going to post about a guy selling a bunch of equipment locally. I'll put it in classifieds.

Prof,
Do these guys fill the tanks, regardless, or do they shy away from ones with Blue Rhino or Amerigas on the tank?

Prof,
Do these guys fill the tanks, regardless, or do they shy away from ones with Blue Rhino or Amerigas on the tank?

I've only gotten tanks filled at Southern States, and it wasn't either of those types, but I'm willing to bet they would fill any tank as long as it's up to spec.

just got a CO2 fill at Metro Fire & Safety today. Polite, quick service.

I'm using U-haul in Wilmington. They also gave me this sticker for my tank that gives me a $1 off every fill.

Nathan, what kind of CO2 tank do you use? I go to National Welders near the airport and they'll swap an empty 20 lb. for a full one for $15. It's the best deal I've found in town.

I have a couple five pounders and a couple twenty pounders. Most are recent acquisitions, so I haven't emptied them yet. :)

If you're still looking for a place to get propane tanks filled, I know I have taken mine to a local RV dealership. I would think most of them across the country would do this since plenty of RVs have tanks that can't be removed. I don't know if this is of any help but it's what I've got from my experience.

I go to my local rental all place and get my propane filled while I wait. Same is true for my CO2 but it is at a big welding shop where I get mine filled.

For now I'm using the self-service tank swap at Home Depot. You can do it any time of day or night with a credit card. Since I'll be moving eventually, I'll wait to get nicer tanks and have them filled once I am settled in at new home.

btw, the Metro Fire Safety place uses "medical grade" CO2, whatever that means.

I used this website and just called everyone on the list to find out who would fill 20lb tanks and how much it would cost me. Finally found one that filled for $18 thats pretty close by. Hope it help.

Usepropane.com

Neal

Latest posts

Back