Something is weird with my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmic

Reaction score
not sure what is going on any ideas? hop plant.jpg alot of the leaves have brown spots.

Yes as a matter of fact i did back in April. The thing is tho it is happening on my new growth as well. You think it did something to the whole plant?

Not sure. I have it planted in a 30 gallon trash can with drainage drilled in. I water it twice a day not sure how much water tho i run the hose for like 30 sec each time.

Depending on the size of your hops and the location where u live they need a lot. I live in SC and with my second and third year hops they can take 2-3 gallons per crown per day. My new centennial hops had a bit of browning on the lower leaves. I'm pretty sure it's due to lack of water or if you have recently fertilized it can be u added to much. Keep an eye on and if u can get some more pics

More Pictures of the leaves And even one of a brew i am drinking. Interested to see if anyone on here knows what it is.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• hop plant3.jpg
    hop plant3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 431
  • hop plant2.jpg
    hop plant2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 431
  • hop plant4.jpg
    hop plant4.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 432
  • hop plant5.jpg
    hop plant5.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 433
  • hop plant6.jpg
    hop plant6.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 303
[/attach]

Attachments

• hop plant7.jpg
    hop plant7.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 462
  • hop plant8.jpg
    hop plant8.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 315
I totally wouldn't worry about it. My hops get the crap beat out of them by weather and wind and insects and the occasional frost... and they are fine.

Depending on the size of your hops and the location where u live they need a lot. I live in SC and with my second and third year hops they can take 2-3 gallons per crown per day. My new centennial hops had a bit of browning on the lower leaves. I'm pretty sure it's due to lack of water or if you have recently fertilized it can be u added to much. Keep an eye on and if u can get some more pics

I should also mention that I also put about 2 gallons of water with a tablespoon of miracle grow on them, so maybe my problem is over-fertilization too. But I definitely noticed the brown on my leaves befer fertilizing and after the frost. I'd be curious to see what other diagnoses there are for this.

Hex23 said:
I should also mention that I also put about 2 gallons of water with a tablespoon of miracle grow on them, so maybe my problem is over-fertilization too. But I definitely noticed the brown on my leaves befer fertilizing and after the frost. I'd be curious to see what other diagnoses there are for this.

What is the nitrogen level in the miracle grow that u use?

you have spider mites...dont worry it happens in every hopyard. I use two types of spray: zeal or Vendex miticide, you can order online. If you turn the leaves over you will see the tiny bumps clusted together. Good Luck

I think you may have several issues

1.) Mites / small pests (as suggested)

2.) Possible over-watering. I know this seems counter-intuitive considering how everyone talks about how much water hops need, but when growing in a container the soil retains moisture for a far greater amount of time. Allow your soil to dry out before watering again. I live in Colorado, which is fairly arid, and I water my container hops once every two to three days, as an example.

3.) Drainage...This goes along with # 2 in that you have a very large trash can there and I can imagine your roots becoming waterlogged if the soil isnt loamy enough. Some have suggested mixing gravel in with the soil to increase drainage. I prefer peat moss. The best way to judge your own soil would be to grab a clump of it. You shouldn't be able to form it into a ball and have it keep its shape...the soil should be loose, dry, and healthy. ALSO, I assume you drilled some holes in the bottom of that baby?

4.) Fertilizer. Be careful using Miracle-Gro with your hops. Synthetic ammonium phosphate fertilizers (like Miracle-Gro) can acidify your soil beyond the proper PH range, causing the roots to suffer. I like to recommend this fertilizer. It's light, safe and organic, and when paired with proper soil preparation, only needs 2 to 3 applications over the course of the season.

5.) Your 5th and final issue is that you only have one beer. I like to go through a six-pack when working with my hops. ;)

Back