Maple Wheat, amazing beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
Found this recipe in a book I have "Clone Brews". This beer is very easy to drink, even at 8.5%. Beautiful copper color, head is always there, nice medium body, at first taste you smell the maple syrup as well as taste it, not too strong at all. Minimal bitterness. Finishes very nicely! Overall clean flavor.

Maple Wheat Ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date:

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 51.6 %
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.4 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (90 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (25 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 lb Rice Hulls (Mash 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Maple Syrup (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Maple Syrup (Bottling 0.0 min)

MapleWheat.jpg

Drool... this will deffinately be on my to-do-list when i eventually make the switch to all grain! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

This sounds really good. I like the use of Willamette hops , they are one of my faves.
I have always been scared to use maple syrup thinking it would be too strong a flavor.
Did you use a dark or lighter syrup? What yeast did you use?
You could replace the pale for munich or vienna next time and have a maltier beer = Weizenbock. Cheers.

1: )The yeast strain i used was wyeast 3056.
2: )I used dark maple syrup.
3: ) How mapley? on a scale of 1-10 i would say 8-9. Strong aroma of maple syrup as well.

P.S. I like your back splash. Looks like you need a SWMBO.

thats funny :) I'm married! We both must of missed it hehe.

+1
Definately on my to brew list. Looks fantastic!

Thanks for posting this recipe!

Redbeard5289

interesting. never used maple in a brew recipe before, though i have seen recipes with it before. i'll have to add this to my list of "want to brew"s. :mug:

its a clone of Niagara Falls Brewing Co.

Extract Version: from the same book.

9.25Lbs M&F Wheat DME(55% wheat, 45% barley malt
1/2 lb maple syrup
1.5oz Willamette

add water until total volume is 2.5 gallons, after 45 min of boil add 1/2oz willamette and 1tsp iris moss.

Awesome! Love threads where there is already the extract version. Have to put this on the list for this summer for sure! Someday ill have the stuff to do AG

Jason, I have the cone brew book and I have been planning on making the extract version of this recipe. Did you use real maple syrup or just a basic store brand like Log Cabin?

Thanks, Scott

I had whole wheat french toast this morning with maple syrup, then whole time I was thinking: "mmmm, this might make a great wheat beer..." TFP

i used 3/4 cup corn sugar plus 1L water, boiled, cooled, added to bottling bucket. Did a 90 minue boil because the thats what the book said to do :)

What was your mash schedule? Single infusion? temp?
I've never used rice hulls before. I notice it said (for the rice hulls) mash 5.o min. (huh?) do I add the rice hulls into the tun then the grain on top?
Thanks!!

What was your mash schedule? Single infusion? temp?
I've never used rice hulls before. I notice it said (for the rice hulls) mash 5.o min. (huh?) do I add the rice hulls into the tun then the grain on top?
Thanks!!

I just mix the Rice hulls in with the grain, because you are going to stir it up in the Mash Tun anyway...it just helps create a better grain filter bed so you don't get a stuck mash. Because wheat doesn't have husks.

Yes, i did just throw the rice hulls in at the begining. Sorry beersmith must have put (5minutes). I did a Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge

this is EXACTLY what i am looking for in my first fall all grain recipe...i cannot wait to try this...doing it on sunday!!!

I'm brewing this on Monday. Still need to pick out a maple syrup, thinking of going to Whole Foods and seeing if they have anything cool.

Did you guys add a fresh batch of yeast 3 days before bottling? I see that most of the recipes in this book suggest that, but I've always primed with boiled DME on bottling day and that works for me. New yeast pack before bottling seems like overkill to me, but this recipe also has a different priming recipe...really tempted to skip the second yeast pack and just prime with corn sugar + maple syrup.

well, this was my first all grain recipe...things to remember: auto siphon, spend more time calculating how much water will be absorbed by grains, and calibrate my brew pot...going to reattempt this recipe in a few weeks

Wow this looks delicious - glad it got brought up to the top.

Definitely adding on my list of recipes to brew at some point.

I'm planning something along similar lines this weekend, only at a lower gravity and using maple sap as my brewing liquid, rather than adding maply syrup. Yeast choice is my one sticking point - I want something where the yeast is not going to be prevalent in the finished beer. I was leaning towards the old standby's like US05 of WY1056, but looking at a couple of the suggestions here I'm thinking a kolsch yeast could prove quite interesting...

Back