What can I use instead of Lyle's Golden Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be able to get it in an English speciality store if you really have to, but I would be inclined to follow Dude's advice.

-a.

You can make your own.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invert_sugar

"Partially inverted sugar syrup can be home-made without the use of enzymes. When making a simple sugar syrup, add about one gram of organic acid, such as citric acid or ascorbic acid, per kilogram of sugar. Cream of tartar or fresh lemon juice can also be used instead. Boiling time needs to be extended to about 20 minutes. This preparation will hydrolyse enough of the sucrose to effectively prevent crystallization, without giving a noticeably sour taste. A way to make an invert sugar syrup without the use of acids or enzymes is to bring a mixture of two parts granulated sucrose and one part water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a low simmer for five to seven minutes until the solution becomes clear."

You've probably found it by now, but it is available at Whole Foods.

DSean said:
You've probably found it by now, but it is available at Whole Foods.

Thanks! Having to pay $7-10 in shipping for a $5 tin of syrup is expensive. The whole foods is a 30 minute drive from my house, but they have it!!

It's ridiculously expensive when you can make your own for less than 50 cents a pound. I have a wiki article in my sig that shows how. Although, I'm not sure if there is a difference in flavor from liquid to solid invert sugar.

Ó Flannagáin said:
It's ridiculously expensive when you can make your own for less than 50 cents a pound. I have a wiki article in my sig that shows how. Although, I'm not sure if there is a difference in flavor from liquid to solid invert sugar.

The thing that I did when I made my belgian candi sugar (basically same steps as invert) to NOT have to deal with solid (and STICKY) stuff was just leave it on the stove at about 2, to have it just stay liquid. Then, when I needed it, just through it straight in the brew pot. No hassle, all you need to clean is the pot in which you made it, which you would of had to clean anyways.

mrfocus said:
The thing that I did when I made my belgian candi sugar (basically same steps as invert) to NOT have to deal with solid (and STICKY) stuff was just leave it on the stove at about 2, to have it just stay liquid. Then, when I needed it, just through it straight in the brew pot. No hassle, all you need to clean is the pot in which you made it, which you would of had to clean anyways.

I plan on doing that when I need to. I like to keep some on hand for priming and starters for my belgians though, so I try to keep some in the freezer for those purposes.

Ó Flannagáin said:

Wow thanks, very useful. I'll definitely try this out for solid sugars.

It's very timely that this thread should be revived today. I just received an all-grain OSH clone kit from AHS, and I wondered what they would provide for the "Lyle's Golden Syrup" adjunct element of the recipe.

Now I know...9oz of dextrose!

I'm planning to brew Orfy's version next, and compare the results.

I know this is a Very Old Post, but if you are in St. Louis and need Lyle's Golden Syrup you can find it At Global Foods Market in Kirkwood on Lindbergh/Kirkwood Rd.

Back