Do i need yeast nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikecshultz

Reaction score
I am making a wit bier from extract. 6 lbs total of dry extract (3 lbs wheat, 3 lbs pilsen)I am pitching 1 bag of wheat 3944 Belgian wit. It will be a 5 gal. Batch. Do I need to add any yeast nutrients? Why or why not? I was going to add one tsp at 5 min. Thoughts?

If you don't it will still ferment and you will still have beer. I use yeast nutrient in every starter and only in beers with OG under 1.1, so i think you will be fine.

I think I am just gonna throw some in, since I have it laying around. Is there any way it could be bad for the beer if I add it?

It certainly won't hurt, but I don't think it is really necessary. Most of the nutrients yeast need will be found in the malt and/or extract. I use it in my starters, but not in my beers, and have not had any issues.

If you add it, add it early to the fermentation, once fermentation is complete you want a nutrient barren wasteland because the bad guys like yeast nutrient too.

helibrewer said:
If you add it, add it early to the fermentation, once fermentation is complete you want a nutrient barren wasteland because the bad guys like yeast nutrient too.

What do you mean by bad guys? And how do they like the yeast nutrient?

Doctor_Wily said:
bad guys = bacteria and stuff. They like to eat it.

But if you sanitize properly, and once the yeast is done there should be enough alcohol to kill the baddys. Only 2 types of bacteria grow in beer anyway, I dont think a little extra yeast nutrient will matter in the grand scheme.

Back