first timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Can you help i've bought a woodforde wherry king keg kit, and have been brewing it for four weeks as per the instructions. But the ale is very orange in colour and cloudy, it smells ok but not what i expected. Do i just leave for longer or has something gone wrong?

cloudy could just be suspended yeast. does it get moved much or was it left to sit quietly?

Yes i'm in cambridgeshire, England.
The brew has a orange colour and you could say it looks like urine that is infected.
I,ve moved the brew twice, once after two weeks @ 21'c and then again after another two weeks @ 10'c. Have i stored it at a to lower temp? I do have small pieces of yeast floating in the test samples, but these do drop to the bottom so i just believed they were stired up from the move.

Thats true it is hard to judge a color in bulk. I recently made a red ale and in the carboy it looked like it was going to be a really dark beer - then when i started bottling realized in reality it is a light amber color. Give er a taste and see what its like - sounds to me like it should be ok but only taste will tell.

Ok guys i,ve tasted it and it's not that nice its very bitter and does not taste like it should, but it smells great and produces a good head when pulled. The cloudy consistancy remains the same for the samples i,ve taken over the last three days. so what now? wait longer? bottle it and hope it conditions? bin it?

If it's not clearing and it doesn't taste good and you've had it going for over 4 weeks then I don't hold up much hope.

I'll PM you with some info.

Ok guys i've left it an extra week now and there is no change to the brew in the keg. but the samples i,ve taken over the week and placed in the fridge have cleared and have a good colour to them. Do you think that the reason why the keg brew is cloudy is due to the fact that this is a one barrel brew. And the sediment slab is still in the keg. if thats the case i'd be better off bottle conditioning this and starting on a new batch with a fermentation bin first. correct!

If thats the case what do i need to buy?

If you fermented and aged this brew in the same barrel then yes, you would have a lot of sediment sitting on the bottom. You could rack it into a secondary, let it sit a week or two in order to further clarify, then bottle.

ThomasRau said:
If you fermented and aged this brew in the same barrel then yes, you would have a lot of sediment sitting on the bottom. You could rack it into a secondary, let it sit a week or two in order to further clarify, then bottle.

Not 100% neccassary.

Back