What size hose for siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use anywhere from 5/16" to 1/2" tubing with common racking tubes (I'm mostly using 3/8"). I find that a length around 6 feet gives plenty of slack for maneuvering. Most homebrew stores sell it pretty cheap. You can also get it at hardware stores and home centers too. It shouldn't cost more than $2-$3 for a good siphon tube.

I was just about to ask how to keep the thing straight....I got a new one today, although I don't think it fits in the rubber stopper for the airlock if I needed a blow off tube....oh well, no problem there.... but this thing gave me headaches tonight with its curling around in the carboy when I was racking.

I"m just a noob but... in my experience, choose the smallest tube that can fit INTO your siphon cane even if you have to cram the **** out of it in there.... less chance of air getting in there. BIG TIME.... = less oxygen in your beer = less cardboard.

I"m just a noob but... in my experience, choose the smallest tube that can fit INTO your siphon cane even if you have to cram the **** out of it in there.... less chance of air getting in there. BIG TIME.... = less oxygen in your beer = less cardboard.

Second the importance of a tight fit! Had a problem with one that was a little too loose and sucked air into my beer stream. Test it by siphoning starsan or whatever first.

To make the sizing issue easy, just bring the siphon with you to the hardware store. And buy more than you need, you can always cut it shorter.

A tight fit is important but the smaller the ID of the tube the longer it will take to rack your beer. I have been using 1/2" ID silicone tube for the last 4 transfers. The silicone is not important and regular vinyl would be fine. Just make sure to match the tube size to the size of your racking cane/auto siphon. Several places now sell a 1/2" OD auto siphon. It makes an air tight seal with the 1/2" ID tube.

I think most siphon tubes are 3/8" When getting the tubing, find on that "almost" fits over the acrylic tube. When you get home.. nuke some water.. stick the end of the vinyl tube in it and then put on the racking tube.

Also, with the tubing curling.. it does have memory.. I heat mine in hot water and stretch it.. letting it cool in the stretched position.. that get's most of the curl out of it.

Also, just to be safe, I attach the vinyl tubing to a second racking cane with rubber bands.. that keeps the remaining curl out of the tubing when I insert it into the secondary or bottling bucket. All sanitized before use.. :)

Did you really say that you cram your tube inside your racking cane?

Try it the other way - the tube should slip over the outside of the cane.

The ideal size of hose for siphoning is 1/2" diameter. You can browse the net for cheaper and great deals with hoses or otherwise, just visit the nearest plumbing supply store or hardware in your place.

I was wanting to buy some hose from northern brewer pretty cheap bu I saw some at Home Depot also does it matter I'm sure it does right?

Transfer hoses are our most regularly replaced item (they gunk up after 50 batches or so). I buy 3/8" by 6' chunks from both Home Depot and my HBS. Can't tell the difference.

I use 4' for the siphon and the remainder for running the extract, lauter tun to brew pot.

What about high temp hose doesn't certain hoses let off a chemical or smell? Will it affect the wort when transferring it?

I like the curl on mine. It forces the beer to swirl in the bottling bucket and makes me feel good about how well the priming solution is mixed.

I initially had a 1/4" ID tube and went to a 1/2", which I thought may be a little to big for ~5 gal batches, but it sure goes fast and has a mean swirl!

Back