Remove Corny rubber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
I need to fit 4 cornies into my Summit kegerator. This will only happen if I can find a way to remove either the top or bottom rubber handles from the back two kegs as the kegerator dips down in the back.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

What sort of tools does it involve?

I don't think they will stand up if you remove the bottom rubber, and the top rubber is the same hight as the quick-disconnects...so...I'd say remove the bottom and find a way to secure the rear kegs.

I have 4 spartan kegs that I need to sell. They don't have the rubber on top and I believe that the single handle can be taken off. The total height is 25". Let me know if these will help you out. I am willing to part with them for say $100.

I have a keg that has a structural defect on the lip where the lid seats down. Todd at Keg Connection is going to swap it out and told me to keep the old keg (send him the disconnects and lid).

Will I need to remove the rubber before taking it to the scrapyard? If so, how?

If not, anything I can do with the lower half of the keg?

dantodd said:
Why would you scrap a perfectly good 5 gallon fermenter?

I can't make it airtight. The lip is tearing away from the body of the keg, on both sides of the lid at that. There are a couple of major dents down the side of it too, I wonder if someone just pressurized the hell out of it to get rid of the dents and in the meantime almost blew the lid off. I have five 5-gal kegs, mainly to keep 4 full and starsan in the other but I don't even want to do that with a keg that refuses to seal.

Then again, a little JB weld might just do the trick. But let's see where the bottom line falls. I can send in the hardware, get a new keg for nothing and take this old one to the scrap yard for a couple bucks and buy another BB or carboy for $20 or so or another bucket for $12.

Or I could keep everything I have right now, jury rig the thing with JB weld and use it as a fermenter. Spend a few bucks on the fittings to put on a gas side connector and I've got another fermentor. However, I'm then short a keg.

Eh, too much thinking. I think I'll get the new keg and another carboy if I absolutely need it. Or another couple of kegs from brewersdiscount.com. Many have mentioned Todd at keg connection, but the two kegs I ordered from Brewers discount were in much better shape, cleaner on the outside, and the connections were all in much better shape.

Back